Another question regarding selling the house with a dog...

Thread: Another question regarding selling the house with a dog...

DefaultAnother question regarding selling the house with a dog...

While we will make every effort to vacate the house with Chloe when people come to see it, there may be a time when I need to be out with the kids without her. We usually crate her when we're gone for a couple of hours in my daughter's room as that's where she sleeps. But with showing the house, we definitely have to move the crate out of her room into the garage. I'll still move it back at night so Chloe can still sleep there but during the day, we were planning to crate her in the garage. People will know that there's a dog in there in a crate.

We most of us appreciate and understand crate training, my dh wondered if some buyers would think it was cruel and be turned off? Plus I really have no idea how she'll act with strangers in the house - while she really isn't a big barker with us around, she could be barking non-stop at the look-e-loos.

I don't know - maybe I'm just getting to stressed out about this house selling business and worrying about every little thing.

Your thoughts?

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

DefaultRe: Another question regarding selling the house with a dog...

Since they will be looking at the garage as well as the rest of the house, I really don't see any need to put her in the garage.* I would leave her in the normal spot where she is crated the first time and then see what the response is from the showing agent.* *Your agent should have a detailed listing available on the MLS for other agents to read...the detailing should include the fact that there is a dog in the house and where the dog is located in the house.

It is customary for your listing agent to either get a call from or make a call to any visiting agent to get feedback on your home....If your pup barks excessively, or if there are any statements regarding smell or any other issue, then your selling agent will hear about it and let you know...then you can deal with it.

As for people thinking crating is cruel, well there is nothing that you can do about that.* The fact is that you have a dog, and you need to sell your house BUT you also need to live there with your family in the process.* AND the truth is that when the right buyer comes along, your house will sell.* Real estate is about timing as much as anything else.....if you and your destined buyer are on the same page, the contract comes quickly; if not, then you must wait until the time is right for both of you.*

JacobAlthea&Tatum is offline Senior Member

Our realtor always gave us 24 hours notice before he brought someone by, unless we cleared her to bring them sooner. On the days that someone will be by, can you bring the dog to day care? It would be a good solution for everyone (except maybe you, but then selling a house is full of inconveniences!).

I'm Jenn. Keeper of two labs in my home and one forever in my heart.

Throw the ball, damn it!

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

When we were showing our house I took the dog with me. I'd hate to have some idiot poking and teasing my dog while it wsa crated and then get bit and cry foul.

I think I left the house twice..2 hrs each time ..and then called the agent and said no more..if they want to see the house they can see it with us in it. House sold in less than 5 days so us being there had no ill effect.

Kathryn Guest

Quote Originally Posted by tripleyellow
    When we were showing our house I took the dog with me. I'd hate to have some idiot poking and teasing my dog while it was crated and then get bit and cry foul.
    I agree!! This is what would scare me the most about having her in the house ALONE with strangers. I just had to talk to my friend about letting her girls and herself sticking her fingers in Dakotas crate. I Had Maggie's covered so she wouldn't bark, I'm afraid if they stuck their fingers in Maggie's crate they might get something unexpected. Her crate IS her home and she LOVES her home. I wouldn't want her to feel that it is being invaded
    If you can't be with her during the day can a friend or family member watch her during the day and come home at night?

Quote Originally Posted by tripleyellow
    When we were showing our house I took the dog with me. I'd hate to have some idiot poking and teasing my dog while it wsa crated and then get bit and cry foul.
    I would think that if you were afraid of this happening, you would be looking for a different realtor.* You have to trust that they are looking out for the best interests of you and your home.* That being said...

Most realtors can give you notice of when they are going to be showing.* Can you find someone to leave your pup with or, do the daycare thing, as was already mentioned?

I'm in the process of selling my house too and my realtor is helping me out in the event that I can't make other arrangements.* During this time, I"m keeping Dexter gated in the kitchen.* She enters the front door before the viewing party, goes into the kitchen and lets Dexter out into the yard (fenced).* This way, he's safe and the people are free to view the home at their leisure.* When they are done, the reverse happens and she lets him back inside.* Don't know what your yard/fence setup is, but is something like this possible?

Good luck with your sale!!

Just a note, when my sellers have to leave the dog crated I have them leave a note with the dogs name on it and ask that they please do not try to pet the dog while in the cage. I am not sure how things are done in your area, but here, we allow realtors from all offices to show our listings so it is best to put a note up incase it is not your agent showing the house.

Canyon Labradors is offline Senior Member

When we sold our house a few years ago, the real estate agent was under strict order that the house was only shown by appointment or an announcement call. If we were NOT home, the house could not be shown. We had three dogs (our 2 and my Mother in Laws) and a cat, and we would take the dogs out of the house when the agent arrived with the people looking at the house, but otherwise, nothing unannounced or when we weren't home. And we still sold the house in a matter of a few weeks.

Lab Dad is offline Senior Member

When we were selling our house in Michigan three years ago our agent told us to board the dogs elsewhere. So Jack went to Sis's and Misty went to Granny's and Wife was miserable without having a Lab around. She decided to stay with Granny and checked on the house.

In Iowa, our agent would meet anyone interested at the house and put the dogs in the back yard and stay with the dogs while the agent showed the house.