Food Question

Thread: Food Question

DefaultFood Question

i recently switched to health science diet and my 2 1/2 year old has been shedding non-stop. i was on eukanuba before but the vet always told me he was overweight. does anyone have a suggestion on what to go with? maybe i should just go back to eukanuba

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

darkchocngold is offline Member

DefaultRe: Food Question

If Eukanuba works, stick with it.* I have had my Golden, Shelby on Eukanuba Lite for many years - one cup in the morning and one cup evening.
    <br />Shelby and Maddie<br />Springfield, MO

that's perfect to hear. he was so happy before but i was just trying to make sure he wasn't overweight. maybe i'll try the lite formula since he is about 93 pounds

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Trickster is offline Senior Member

There is a strong possibility your dog is scratching due to the Science Diet. Despite what vets may claim, S/D is a terrible food with low-grade ingredients, many of which have no place in a dogs diet. Here are the ingredients of the Adult Original;

Chicken, Ground Whole Grain Corn, Ground Whole Grain Sorghum, Ground Whole Grain Wheat, Chicken By-Product Meal, Soybean Meal, Animal Fat (preserved with mixed tocopherols and citric acid), Corn Gluten Meal, Brewers Rice, Chicken Liver Flavor, Soybean Oil, Dried Egg Product, Flaxseed, Potassium Chloride, Iodized Salt, Calcium Carbonate, Choline Chloride, Vitamin E Supplement, vitamins (L-Ascorbyl-2-Polyphosphate (source of vitamin C), Vitamin E Supplement, Niacin, Thiamine Mononitrate, Vitamin A Supplement, Calcium Pantothenate, Biotin, Vitamin B12 Supplement, Pyridoxine Hydrochloride, Riboflavin, Folic Acid, Vitamin D3 Supplement), minerals (Ferrous Sulfate, Zinc Oxide, Copper Sulfate, Manganous Oxide, Calcium Iodate, Sodium Selenite), DL-Methionine, preserved with Mixed Tocopherols and Citric Acid, Beta-Carotene, Rosemary Extract.

Full of corns, grains, by-products and other crappy unnecessary fillers. I would also ignore weight loss foods, especially the Science Diet ones. The ingredients of the weight loss S/D are even worse than the adult;

Corn meal, peanut hulls 28.2% (a source of fiber), chicken by-product meal, soybean meal, soybean mill run, chicken liver flavor, dried egg product, vegetable oil, taurine, L-carnitine, preserved with BHT, BHA and ethoxyquin, minerals (salt, ferrous sulfate, zinc oxide, copper sulfate, manganous oxide, calcium iodate, sodium selenite), beta-carotene, vitamins (choline chloride, vitamin A supplement, vitamin D3 supplement, vitamin E supplement, L-ascorbyl-2-polyphosphate (a source of vitamin C), niacin, thiamine mononitrate, calcium pantothenate, pyridoxine hydrochloride, riboflavin, folic acid, biotin, vitamin B12 supplement).

Corn is used as the primary ingredient to make the dog feel full and 'peanut hulls' are used to make the dog poop as much as possible. There is not a single good ingredient in there and I find it shambolic that vets actually recommend this.

You are much better sticking with Eukanuba or switching to a higher quality, premium brand food. For weight loss try reducing the amount you are giving by a quarter and upping his exercise. The amount you need to feed will depend on his age, level of activity and ideal weight. Don't follow the back of the food pack because it is only a guideline that should be adapted for the individual. For reference, my dogs are 55, 58, 60 and 70lbs respectively and eat 3 cups of dry food every day. They are, however, very active and at ideal weights. You should be able to easily feel your dogs ribs. If you can't, he is overweight.

Pam
    Pam is offline Senior Member

My guess is the Science Diet. Buddy was on it for a long time. He not only shed, but would scratch himself until he actually bled! It dried him out big time. Switch to something else.

Dani is offline Senior Member

Go back to Eukanuba, cut back on the amount of food you were giving...supplement with green beans for filler, and up the exercise.
    Dani, Rider & Rookie
    SHR Watson's Safari Rider, JH, WC, CL1-R, RA, CGC, TDI
    SHR Endeavor Put Me In Coach, RN, WC, CGC

Member Since 6/2003

thank you all. this forum is awesome, i just discovered it and am hooked.

Allie is offline Senior Member

I have to agree with the others....SD is just plain awful in my experience. All the Humane Societies and Animal Control shelters use it around here...and while that's great that SD helps them out (I presume), it gives the dogs a terrible odor. I like my vet, but I would never trust her suggestion about food...too many get kickbacks for promoting a brand whether they think it's good or not. It all boils down to what works for you and your dog.
    Allie, Teddy (6), Emily (7), and Ivy (4)