My Dog Stinks!!!!

Thread: My Dog Stinks!!!!

DefaultMy Dog Stinks!!!!

I have two 8 month old back male litter mates, George and Ralph, who really, really like to swim .* As I live on the water they swim a few times a day, sometimes they go in the water just to pee or poop ( I know yuck!! ) :-[. Anyway George smells fine all the time even when wet but Ralph is quite another story all together. Simply put he stinks :'(!!!! Ralph even after towelling stays damp and after a few days of being damp he just really, really stinks ???!!!!! His brother George does not smell at all the same . They eat the same food, Nutro Lamb & Rice, are completely healthy, intact, plus 80 lbs. and are just wonderful to have around* . But, oh that smell :'(!!! Now if Ralph actually understood that he is not a lap dog or a bed warmer it would not be so bad, but he is a lab after all :-\. So I am hoping that someone might have some idea as to what we might try to stop the eye watering that we now suffer :'(. Short of keeping him out of the water as this guy really does love to swim* ;D. Help me if you can; Thanks in advance .

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

AngusFangus is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: My Dog Stinks!!!!

Well, that was a very expressive post! :P

Are you positive the smell is coming from his skin? Is it his breath? His ears? If it's that bad, could he be harboring an undiscovered infection of some kind ???

Connie and "The Boys":
    Angus, Yellow Lab, CGC, RE, CD
    Simon, d.b.a. Flat Coated Retriever, CGC, RE, CD

Gone ahead, but forever in my heart:
    Crash, Pit Bull x Rottweiler x Golden Retriever

No I am positive that the smell is from his fur/skin. Just that wet dog smell taken to the next level ???.* *Absolutely healthy other than the smell. No infections, no shedding, no dry skin or other problems. We called the vet who said that all we could do was to dry him as much as possible. I heard something about Mink Oil but have no idea as how to use it. Hopefully when he gets his adult coat the odour will disapear .

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Dani is offline Senior Member

He should be not damp after drying. That will cause hotspots and skin infections...I would wager to bet that has something to do with it.
    Dani, Rider & Rookie
    SHR Watson's Safari Rider, JH, WC, CL1-R, RA, CGC, TDI
    SHR Endeavor Put Me In Coach, RN, WC, CGC

Member Since 6/2003

This may not be possible if he's in the water a few times a day but could you blow dry him at least enough to get him mostly dry? He may not like it at first but take it slow and use plenty of positive reinforcement and he should let you. Sorry other than an ear infection I don't know what else it could be.

Show folks sometimes use a 'spritz' of listerine, mixed 1/2 and 1/2 with water to hold down the doggie odor. HOWEVER, that's just a temporary solution, and probably is not a good idea on a daily basis. My guess is indeed the wet fur, if you are sure there is no ear problems. Does he have a really thick under coat? (which would hold the water, especially if he does not have a good top coat.)

jzgrlduff is offline Senior Member

and after a few days of being damp
    He stays damp for a few days? My guys dry up in about 1/2 hour after getting wet. Is he full breed lab, I mean, what kind of coat does he have? Full breed labs have double coats and that makes them dry pretty quick.

Ugh, I can't imagine having that wet dog smell for more than a couple of hours!! :-X

"Each is a creature of Earth and is entitled to reside on it with dignity"

A good grooming and a spritz of the Listerine/water mix works for Rocky when he's stinky. Your situation sounds a bit extreme, so it may not work for you.

Yes he is a "full" lab with the typical double coat and all. Short swims versus an hour plus makes a big difference with how quick and easy any dog will dry. We groom him and check his skin regulary as infection did cross our minds. Some days are worse than others but as he is still a big strong healthy pup we will wait for his adult coat and see. His brother who has the finer coat of the two does not smell at all and drys the fastest. I have been wondering if he might be eating some "treats" that we are not aware of that has the same effect as curry or garlic can have on people? Will have to try the Listerine/water spritz next time he gets too bad. Thanks for your replies!!

patm is offline Senior Member

I am having some trouble with Emilu right now too. Just a vague whiff most of the time, and I can't pin it down to a certain place - did the sniff test with ears, mouth skin, etc. I have boiled it down to dampishness under her collar. She has a very nice coat, but it is heavy, with a heavy double coat, and when she DOES get wet, it takes her forever to dry. Skippy "towel dries" in a short time, but he doesn't have a heavy double coat. I know they say that the double, slightly oily coat keeps them from getting soaked through, but I haven't found that to be true with Emilu . The water washes over her for a while, but when it gets in, it stays in.