We're selling our house - would LOVE some advice re: dog odor in the house
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: We're selling our house - would LOVE some advice re: dog odor in the house

DefaultWe're selling our house - would LOVE some advice re: dog odor in the house

So, we decided to sell our house within the last week to move closer to dh's work. The realtor came by this afternoon and did a walk thru, gave me tips on what I needed to do to make it show better etc. etc. He is a dog person and actually raised chocolate labs for a while so he had fun playing with Chloe.

Unfortunately, he did mention the dog smell in the house that would definitely be a turn off to some buyers. We've only had Chloe for about 4 weeks now but I don't even notice the smell anymore. I did give her one bath when she first came home but not since then so I'm sure she's ready for one - she got spayed a couple of weeks ago so I've also been sensitive to her stitches and been waiting to bathe her. She is potty trained but has had a couple of accidents which I immediately use Nature's Miracle.

He suggested that she be an outside dog while the house is being shown but I can't even imagine that - especially in this heat (95 degrees + this week). She sleeps in her crate in my daughter's room at night.

When people come to look at the house, I plan to put her in her crate in the garage.

Anyway, do you think she's just extra stinky because it's been 4 weeks since I bathed her? I thought it was bad to bathe her more often but I may have to at least in the short term while the house is being shown. Will that make a difference or am I out of luck?

I would be VERY GRATEFUL for any other ideas. I would hate to banish her to the outside.

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Taffys Mom is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: We're selling our house - would LOVE some advice re: dog odor in the house

Dogs don't smell that bad. Especially after only 4 weeks. Is it Chloe that actually has the odor? If you bathed her a month ago, she should not need another bath. If there is an odor - it is more likely the house, or something in it - not Chloe. So...

Shampoo your carpets - it will help with any "accident" spots you may have missed. Throw open the windows. Spray some Fabreeze (or some other kind of scent) on your screens. Wash bedding/blankets she lays on. Avoid lighting candles or spraying freshener only. I find that you wind up with "Eeu de vanilla dog" or "Eeu de rose cat." You need to get rid of the source of the odor first.

I'm sure the smell isn't Chloe - just Chloe's things. So putting Chloe out (which I hope you don't) will not solve the problem anyway.

Good Luck! Oh - and pets or not - they say cinnamon is a "welcoming" scent. So, warm a few cinnamon sticks in a pan when buyers are coming over! Or better yet - bake a pie!

DefaultRe: We're selling our house - would LOVE some advice re: dog odor in the house

My suggestion is to have the carpets cleaned just to be sure there isn't any lingering odor. One thing we have done is to bake cookies just before they are due to show the house - the lingering smell does wonders for peoples mood. In the winter I would make spiced cider in the crock pot to get the cinnamon smell going....Good luck. Moving is so much work!

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

I'm thinking clean the carpets too but if that just isn't an option right now with the heat/humidity etc. Go the store and get the gigantic box of Baking Soda (they do make a really big box in that aisle that has large quanity items) apply and leave it on the carpet overnight. Then suck it out with vacume' in the am. It will neutrilize any odor. I agree with the cinnamon idea

georgie is offline Senior Member

If you can't clean the carpets sprinkle some of the Arm & Hammer pet odor stuff on & then vacum. Also, Fabreeze helps. But the best thing my friend did when she was selling her house was to light several large Yankee candles (cinnamon) around the house. It did smell great & there was no dog smell. She had 2 GSD's.

Good luck.

mitziandjudysmom is offline Senior Member

Do you have central air conditioning. If not get a dehumidifier and be sure you have low humidity in the house. That will go a long way in keeping odors out.

Allie is offline Senior Member

Echoing the others....a bath is not the issue. Bathing can sometimes make a smell (if there is one) worse. I bathe my little dogs but never bathe our lab (i.e. shampoo his coat). I would call a professional steam cleaner in and have your carpets and rugs done, if your house is carpeted. If there are any suspect rugs, remove them to the garage. Keep her bedding laundered if she has any, and continue to crate her. If she still has accidents, you may have to crate her more often and/or restrict her to a less high traffic area of the house. Keep her off the furniture. We tried Arm and Hammer carpet stuff, and nothing can replace a good steam cleaning. I would definitely recommend potpurri or candles, too.
    Allie, Teddy (6), Emily (7), and Ivy (4)

We sent Jasper to the kennel when we were showing the house. Some people won't even come in the house if there is a dog (even if he is in the garage).

Buckyball is offline Senior Member

Cleaning the carpets like people suggest is good. Air out your house and burn essential oils before people come to see the house. The oils are pricey but you need a tiny dab of it to make a difference. I was also told you can dab a tiny amount on light bulbs so when you flick on the light a light scent is given off. You could also put a couple drops of it in a humidifier if you use/have one. Pick a scent that isn't food related. We recently sold our house and people complained when we used candles that smelled like food...yes even cookies I was shocked! Who dislikes the smell of chocolate chip cookies?!?! So we switched to using light scented oils and candles...like lavender or eucalyptus...

I also use those cone shaped air freshners made my Renuitz...I use the "odor eater" scent in my brother's shoe closet especially in the summer (gets rid of the horrid smell). You could place a couple of those around the house. It has a very light neutral scent.
    Also, what helps with any kind of odor is cleaning your tile/laminate floors with pine sol. This really works great. I clean our floors every day with this stuff because I am very paranoid about our house smelling like a dog. My family has a lot of friends who don't like dogs so keeping our house smell free is key. These people have not noticed any smell at our house and if they did I know they would have complained about it.* For carpets we use the Arm and Hammer pet odor powder...works well as well. We vaccum every other day.

Had to add...I also clean and wash the dog's toys and bedding atleast once a week...if need be twice a week...as beaus pete said..it's usually the dog's things and not the dog itself that smells...
    <3 01/01/2006-03/18/2017 <3

My Beau who lives inside with us has not had a bath in 6 months and he smells fine we have to dogs inside 1 jrt and Beau and I have found that their toys stink worse than they ever do.....Have the carpets clean plug in the air freshner and don't even think of banishing that sweet thing outside you never know she may sell the house for you there are tons of dog owners out there looking for homes!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast