Dog aggression male to male
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Dog aggression male to male

DefaultDog aggression male to male

Does anyone have any experience with this. It seems that Moby (cm) has some "issues" with other males. I was going to start brining him to daycare but we went in for a visit today and he was very nervous. Once in the door he was on high alert with hackles up. Another lab came over to sniff him and then started to hump him this sent Moby into a growling hissy fit. I just don't feel comfortable sending him here now, I did speak with a behaviorist today and she is going to come out and assess him. Here is some background..he was slightly attacked/challenged by a black lab mix unaltered male about a year ago. Since this he has always be weary about male dogs. He is fine with all females and my mothers 14 year old male. He does seem to show some leash aggression but only to males as well. If anyone has any suggestions or input I would appreciate it.
    TIA

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

DefaultRe: Dog aggression male to male

come on you guys are always full of advice :P
    bumpity bump

kaytris is offline Senior Member

read this one first: (noting particularly the first paragraph)
    http://www.flyingdogpress.com/sayhi.html

then follow it up with this:

http://www.flyingdogpress.com/onldagg.html

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

thanks so much...that was a great read!

Scout and friends Guest

Those articles are great.* I bookmarked them to read again.*

mitziandjudysmom is offline Senior Member

I have seen male-to-male and female-to-female aggression in German Shepherds. I don't know if training can solve the problem, but keeping only opposite sex dogs is a solution.

Allie is offline Senior Member

Teddy (also a cm) seems to be less friendly with males than females in general, especially if the males are unaltered. He was a very dominant male when he had his hormones, so maybe he still has the vestiges of testicle envy...lol.
    Allie, Teddy (6), Emily (7), and Ivy (4)

Dani is offline Senior Member

Are you sure that it was agression...I feel like way too many people mis-label normal dog behavior. He was in a new place, with strange dogs, one of whom tried to dominate him. HOW IN THE HELL WOULD YOU FEEL?

I think if you want to take him to daycare, take him for bouts where you can observe and let him get adjusted. Rider is always cautious about new places at first and then he's like whatever.

Don't coddle his behavior...he will think it's okay for him to act like that.
    Dani, Rider & Rookie
    SHR Watson's Safari Rider, JH, WC, CL1-R, RA, CGC, TDI
    SHR Endeavor Put Me In Coach, RN, WC, CGC

Member Since 6/2003

Jan
    Jan is offline Senior Member

Kaytris, excellent article!* I've only gotten through the first, but her message is well-said!

I don't take my Springer to our local off-leash park because she would respond to unwanted attention with a growl & then snarl, which wouldn't be taken well by others.* In that case, I don't really blame the other dogs for being too in-her-face, since that is to be expected in an off-leash environment.* I do take Corby, and I trust that other dogs will respond appropriately if my pup wants to play -- I'm OK with another dog teaching him manners, that's how dogs learn! -- although Miranda has done that quite effectively with her strict rules about his behaviour*

Chester B. Dickens is offline Senior Member

Wesley had some male-to-male issues along the way. I've taught him, though, that this is completely unacceptable. He 'gets it' now.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast