dog bite care (Scout)

Thread: dog bite care (Scout)

Scout and friends Guest

Defaultdog bite care (Scout)

Scout was bitten on her bottom lip - 5 small puncture marks.* My mom's little dog that lives with me now bit her again.* Last time it abscessed and Scout was hospitalized overnight.

I have some amoxicillan that was prescribed by the vet last time but not used.* They decided she needed IV antibiotics instead.* Is it a good idea to give it to her now, preventative?* I don't want to risk another abscess.* (I washed her chin with soap and lots of water - bleeding has stopped. Got a big bowl of water.* Held dog cookies at the bottom of the bowl and she dove down for them - the bites marks were completely immersed in water.)

Thanks for the help.

To all those with very sick pups right now - this is minor in comparison.* My thoughts are with you.

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

ruff n tumble crew is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: dog bite care (Scout)

It sure wouldn't hurt to start antibiotics if you have some from last time. Check with your vet to be sure that is OK tomorrow.

mitziandjudysmom is offline Senior Member

Sounds like the nasty little dog needs an attitude adjustment before he bites you.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

When Apollo got bitten on the snout this spring(3 puncture wounds), emergency vet said, go ahead and clean out with peroxide, as it bubbles and will really bubble any dirt, etc. out of the wound. After the intial cleanings, I think they recommended using a more tissue friendly antiseptic, and neosporin.

Dawson Creek Girl is offline Senior Member

Wow, I often wondered why I didn't like little dogs. :
    I'm just a Lab Lover! ;D
    •*´¯`*•.¸¸.•Patti•*´¯`*•.¸¸.•

kassabella is offline Senior Member

I sure hope Scout sorts that naught little dog out.

Kassa 25/11/01 - 09/02/05 O.S Jaw cancer forever in my heart.
    Ernie 25/11/01 adopted May 05
    Sam 11? adopted Nov 06 - 18/12/07 Lyphoma
    Tessa. Rescued June 2011.
    Bone Cancer Dogs org.http://www.bonecancerdogs.org/
    http://kassabella.tripod.com/kassabella/
    http://collarsbychris.weebly.com/

I agree that the little dog needs and attitude adjustment ! > How are the punctures today? When Lily got bit at the beach and a dog left puctures on her leg I cleaned them out with a first aid spray....over the counter stuff. It had lidocaine in it so that helped with her allowing me to do this....the stuff sprayed on. I think band aid makes one now~ a foam ..I patted it dry then took neosporin and packed it inside the puntures. She happened to be going to the vet for her yearly so the Dr. examined it and said that the packing of the antibiotic cream was a a good thing to do and Lily did not need to go on oral antibotics..of course it needed to be watched etc. It healed fine. Good luck with the bites.
    Colby

Dani is offline Senior Member

When Rider got bitten, the vet told me to clean out the wound put a little pressure on it and it will stop bleeding on it its own. We never had to worry about it...it closed up in like 30 minutes and viola...no worries.
    Dani, Rider & Rookie
    SHR Watson's Safari Rider, JH, WC, CL1-R, RA, CGC, TDI
    SHR Endeavor Put Me In Coach, RN, WC, CGC

Member Since 6/2003

Scout and friends Guest

I went ahead with the amoxicillan. This happened after hours, otherwise I would have called the vet before starting it. I'm going to call the clinic this morning - see what he suggests.

The marks are small, 5 of them. Some bleeding, didn't take much to get it to stop. I cleaned the punctures out as best I could, and used antibiotic cream as someone suggested. I've given 2 doses of amox. It's probably more for my sake than for hers. The abscess last December was about the size of my fist, in her throat. Once burned, twice shy - ya know?

I'm struggling with what to do with this dog I've rehomed. She has struggled to fit in here, and Scout is her main irritation. That's a whole other thread.

Thanks for the replies and suggestions.

georgie is offline Senior Member

Poor Scout. Sounds like you got a good start on caring for the bites. I am sorry you are having these problems with the little dog.