Please Help My Itchy Dog
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Please Help My Itchy Dog

3TailsWaggin is offline Senior Member

DefaultPlease Help My Itchy Dog

Ruger is Mr. Scratch Boy. I'm at my wits end. I have had him on meds the vet prescribed, oral and topical. I've had him on steroids. Nothing is really helping him. He is controlling it a bit better (I can make him stop scratching by redirecting his attention) but his coat is in terrible condition with bald patches and red skin (which then turns black.. his normal skin color is white).

I am currently treating him with OTC Lanacane, which seems to give him the best itch relief and helps to heal up the redness.

I simply can't afford to keep running him to the vet for stuff that is not working.

Any ideas or suggestions.

He eats Purina ONE Lamb & Rice. He takes Flax Seed Oil. He is fed Sardines weekly. He gets Olive Oil.

He swims daily and his coat/skin is wet for about four hours a day (he's a pool boy).

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

DefaultRe: Please Help My Itchy Dog

How long has been doing this? Have you tried switching his food to a sesitive skin type formula (usually fish based)?

Yes, he was on the Salmon based food and actually was more itchy. His ears are fine as are his paws. I'm really thinking all the swimming had dried out his skin. But I can't seem to improve it.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

HI there
    I have been having the same problem with Tiller ( Ms. Scratch Girl ) and hate constantly giving her Benadryl to get her to stop itching. Her coat is awful, some small bald round spots on her sides, under her belly and the inside of her legs are bumpy to touch and black. I had the breeder come and look at her this past weekend and he said it does not look like a food allergy as I was going to change her food again. I have tried her on lots, she has been on Kirkland Lamb and Rice now for awhile and seems to be great on this. Tillers ears are great as well ( for once ). The breeder seems to think that it is a seasonal allergy just like we get with pollen etc.......from being on the grass and outside laying around alot more than what they do in the winter.

The breeder is gonna try and get some information from some friends of his to see if there is anything that can be given to Tiller to help with the itch. I hate seeing her scratch all the time and worry she is feeling crappy with scratching.

When i hear from him I will certainly let you know what his says,,,,but as of Monday he said to give her the Benadryl, dont change her food and it is nothing to worry about.

Cheers
    Jacqui and Tiller

einstein's legacy is offline Senior Member

Linda, would you consider these itchy areas "hot spots"? I have used the "purple ear solution" on hot spots with wonderful results. You might want to try Benedryl for some relief, vet presecribed 75mg 2x a day for my Jake (87 lbs.), it worked for us with only 75mg once a day. Believe it or not, I have heard that a mixture of Apple Cider Vinegar and water may help as well, but I've never used it, I will try it if I see Jake scratching or licking again.

Paddysmom is offline Senior Member

Oh boy, Linda. When you've tried everything you can think of to stop the severe itchies I can't think of what's left to do but to let them just worry through it!

I'm wondering about the chlorine in the pool, though. As a former dedicated lap swimmer I know that water can take its toll over time. Is this a particularly bad season for Rugs?

Seamus and Flynn

I don't really think it's food allergy.

He doesn't lay around in grass (we have very little grass in his yard and he lays around in the house with me

I've not tried Vinegar, but don't want him stinky either... but might try it.

These aren't "hot spots" ... not like he had earlier this spring... those were actually open sores and oozy.

Nance, we do not have chlorine in the pool... it's an ionization system (copper/silver)

No fleas either.

I'm baffled on this one, and he's looking really mangy, and I have a match coming up. Oy!!

In the picture below, you can see where he's going "bald" on his chest from scratching there. (just above and to the right of my signature on his chest... both sides of his chest... The skin turns from white to pink to black.

Apollo has those spots right now as well, and very, very dry flakey skin everywhere(as well as acne). Between the acne baths he gets twice a week, swimming in the river, and playing in his baby pool, I'm sure my big brown dog just has super dry skin. I am doing the fish oil twice a day, but I think I'm going to try the olive oil that someone mentioned. I have also put some neosporin on a couple hairless spots that he couldn't reach, and that seemed to help, and hair is growing back there. However, he says he doesn't really care about the balding, as long as he can still go swimming.

WigWag Guest

It sounds like seasonal allergies to me. We are battling the exact same here with Cuffy. He has gotten steroid injections once in the spring and again in the fall for three years and this is the first spring that it really didn't work well for him and he is ten times more itchy. He is on a fish based food which does help a little (I think) and he is now on 25 mg of benedryl twice a day which works for him. I know I can give him more and sometimes I give him 50 mg at night. The other day I ran out and it was the 4th so we were gone all day and so he was off it for one day and chewed a small hot spot on his rump!

Cinder4evr is offline Senior Member

You might try adding borage oil to the flax seed oil. Borage is one of those very handy plants you don't hear a whole lot about but does a lot of different things. You can get a combo pill flax seed oil/borage oil pill at the health food store. It's usually about the size and shape of a peanut M & M and has a sweet taste.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast