ACL Tears

Thread: ACL Tears

DefaultACL Tears

Reading the good news about Fergus got me thinking. ACL tears are becoming more and more common in our breed (and others). I have noticed (with the histories I have been made privy too)it is happening more often in non strenuous activity. Could there be a genetic connection? Should there be more attention paid to this problem and its causes or do you think it is just a strange coincidence?

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

DefaultRe: ACL Tears

It was only after we got Fergus' diagnose that we realized just how commen this injury was, espically in Labs. When we first got the news we spent the first three days crying and feeling very unlucky and sick about the whole thing. Once we manage to pull ourselves together and get back out in the world, we were amazed to hear SO many stories about other dogs having this same injury...we couldn't believe it. Here we felt so alone, and the truth was we weren't alone at all. We were told that it's second to neutering for most commen surgerys...how scary is that. They say it's a sport related injury and we do have sporting dogs, so I guess that why it's more commen in Labs...we were wondering about a possible genetic connection as well, although I don't think there was any cases in Fergus' family history??

BudGirl8 Guest

I hope Fergus gets better soon - I was glad to read his surgery went ok. If you don't mind me asking how did his ACL injury happen? I'd never heard of a dog tearing an ACL. My dog is an extreme jumper (frisbee, birds, the sprinkler, etc) and there's been a few times that I wondered if she could hurt herself. I want her to have fun but not get hurt.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

3TailsWaggin is offline Senior Member

I think there are a lot of factors at play. Genetics certainly can predispose a dog toward ACL, so can obesity. Magnum was very fit and competing in agility when her's tore.

I know a lot of people do a lot more with their dogs these days, and maybe, like human athletes, it's just an injury we will continue to see.

ACL tear is the #1 ortho problem across the board (in ALL breeds of dogs). It certainly is not new. But the treatments for it have continued to improve.

patm is offline Senior Member

Not sure about the genetic component - but just like people I guess that certain physical configurations in the knee can pre-dispose animals to torn ACL's too. And I think we are competing more with them. Skippy tore his because we live in very hilly country and he was always sliding past the thrown object when retrieving. I also think that his large size (not fat) probably aggrevated the situation. He has been great since getting it fixed 1.5 years ago, and we no longer do long retrieves in the yard.

The Texas Tank is offline Senior Member

Tank had both legs repaired.

I think alot of his was due to being overweight and not enough "regular" exercise. He was more of a weekend warrior and we all know what that does to a human and also being overweight when attempting to be "supperman".
    Sandie, Tank 5/25/1998 - 07/08/2011, Orson & Sully

cinderbay is offline Senior Member

I don't completely buy that dogs are or can be genetically predisposed but I do think that breeding dogs of inferior structure can produce dogs whos structure in itself can play a role in these types of injury. But I think other things factor into that as well. Most of the tears I see or hear about I think are more with dogs who are extremely athletic, weekend warriors, or over exuberant when the run/play.
    I think we are a more active society and our dogs go and do everything with us and that just lends a hand to the possibility of more injury.

Quote Originally Posted by raian
    I think there are a lot of factors at play.* Genetics certainly can predispose a dog toward ACL, so can obesity.* Magnum was very fit and competing in agility when her's tore.*

I know a lot of people do a lot more with their dogs these days, and maybe, like human athletes, it's just an injury we will continue to see.

ACL tear is the #1 ortho problem across the board (in ALL breeds of dogs).* It certainly is not new.* But the treatments for it have continued to improve.
    Kim