Choosing the right sex

Thread: Choosing the right sex

DefaultChoosing the right sex

Hi everyone!
    I am new to the forum. We are about to get a yellow lab for my daughter. My question is that we have a little female Lhasa-Frise (1/2 Lhasa apso & 1/2 Bichon Frise) and a male Rottweiler at home already. What sex of a lab do you think would fit in best in our household. Our dogs are pretty easy-going with other dogs....but of course our Rottie does believe himself to be the leader of our household. Any suggestions?

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

DefaultRe: Choosing the right sex

The sex of the dog doesn't mean half as much as temperament. Do you current dogs get along with other dogs? Do they prefer playing with one sex over the other? Are they both spayed/neutered? A lab with a true lab temperament will get along with anything so it really just depends on your current critters.

....but of course our Rottie does believe himself to be the leader of our household
    What exactly do you mean by this?

They do get along with other dogs......they hang with my Mom's female Catahoula......bicker over food a bit........I don't think they have been around other males too much.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Jan
    Jan is offline Senior Member

I would get a girl. Same gender for the dominant dog could result in some difficulties with testing by the new dog.*

When I added a second dog to our household, I got a female (Golden). I already had (still have!) a female Springer Spaniel.* There were periodic skirmishes, and challenges.* This time I got a boy, and he has acknowledged our Springer's leadership without question.* And weirdly, our Springer is deferencial to other males (fixed or not) but growls at other females.

This is just my 2 cents, based on my experience.

Jack, our Rottie just thinks he is IT. But, I don't mean that in an alarming way. He likes to THINK he is - cuz for example he will try to take bones and things away from our little dog.....BUT she is about 20 lbs and he can't get it from her. He weighs 125lbs. haha She puts him in his place. He's a good boy......