Rain, refreshing rain ... finally

Thread: Rain, refreshing rain ... finally

Cappy_TX is offline Senior Member

DefaultRain, refreshing rain ... finally

We've been in a 5 week drought so I was busily finshing landscape projects and working around our ponds and wetlands. I've planted alot of millet (rice) and sorghum for the fall duck season.

I also reseeded the lawn areas that had died in the heat. Yesterday we got the oft-promised but not-delivered rain that we so sorely need. The best kind of rain, slow and steady, about an inch worth. More is forecast for the next several days. Cappy and Remi posed by the new landscape area this morning and they were enjoying the pungent smell of the fresh pine bark mulch after a rain.

In the background you can see a 12' Jon boat that's turned upside down at the edge of the pond. The front end of it is about 8" off the ground up on blocks and I've allowed the grass and vegetation to grow up around it. We currently have a drake, a hen and 3 quickly growing young mallards tstaying under there at night for safety and also shelter from the hot sun during the day.

Remi and Rusty aren't my whole life. They're trying to fill the hole in my heart left by Cappy's passing.

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

jzgrlduff is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: Rain, refreshing rain ... finally

*sniff* I can smell the fresh rain air, too!

Beautiful pics, as usual!! Love the baby mallards! Isn't that 2 females with them though? Where's the male?

"Each is a creature of Earth and is entitled to reside on it with dignity"

I'll send you some of our rain. lol. We've been having monsoon rains every day since our 15 inches.
    Love the picture of Remi and Cappy. She looks like Nellie in that picture.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Cappy_TX is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by jzgrlduff
    *sniff* I can smell the fresh rain air, too!

Beautiful pics, as usual!!* Love the baby mallards!* Isn't that 2 females with them though?* Where's the male?
    You are very observant as usual but alas, uninformed in the ways of the Mallard Duck (Anas Platyrhynchos from Latin Anas (duck) and from Greek Platys (broad or flat) and rynchos (beak). Hehe.

All ducks and geese go through a "molt" each year. Usually in the late spring and early summer when they loose most of their feathers which are quickly replaced by new ones. That includes the drake's green head, white neck ring and other unique drake colors. However, if you look closely at the back area of the lead (right) duck, you will see that it still has the subtle normal back area colors slightly present and his head is darker than the hen's.
    Remi and Rusty aren't my whole life. They're trying to fill the hole in my heart left by Cappy's passing.