Oh NO!!

Thread: Oh NO!!

Kathryn Guest

DefaultOh NO!!

Well we knew Dakota was afraid of the sound of cars, trucks, motorcycles (sight and sound), vacuums, the BBQ(sight), and my cell phone. Thunder doesn't seem to bother her at all. We had out first big storm a few nights ago and had me scared to death.. it hit our power in back of the house.
    Tonight we find out shes afraid of fireworks. We have yet to see the big to-do. We had been outside, I heard cop cars while I was here at the computer. Let Maggie and Dakota out and walked by the Kitchen window to bring them back to the living room and there are FIVE cop cars on my street. I leash Dakota and take her with me to the front deck. they took some guy who was REALLY drunk.
    We sit outside because its cooler Maggie had to stay inside tonight with Copper. Dakota and my mom were out there with me and I put Dakota's collar on so she had her tag and let her off leash to stay ON the deck. She did VERY well!
    She was a little confused with all the kids and adults screaming but she did well. Then they shot off some type of firework behind out house and it went right over us and she jumped up from her stay and ran to the other end of the deck. I got her by her collar and we came in.
    Its illegal to have fireworks on your person in my city/county. They have stopped for now, but if they start again I think we will probably have to call the cops. She was so scared. :'(
    I don't think we will be watering the yard together tonight :-\

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

DefaultRe: Oh NO!!

The Humane Societies say that July 5 is their busiest day of the year.

jzgrlduff is offline Senior Member

The Humane Societies say that July 5 is their busiest day of the year.
    Why is that?

Poor pup! My Tucker is scared to death of fireworks too

"Each is a creature of Earth and is entitled to reside on it with dignity"

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Lexis Mom is offline Senior Member

Lexi is petrified of fireworks! They were shooting them off all around my neighborhood, but last night was by the worst. I had her out in the yard, trying to get her to pee before bed & some went off. She nearly drug me back to the house. Normally she is not on leash in the yard, but that was the only way to get her outside.

I felt bad for her, but short of closing the house up (which I can't do without A/C), what can I do.

My pretty girl, Lexi!

TobysTrix is offline Senior Member

July 5th is the busiest day for shelters because a lot of animals who get scared of the fireworks on the 4th manage to bolt out of the house or yard and run away. They can get lost, hurt, or worse, and often it's not the owners' fault.

My BF's boss has a lab who is deathly afraid of loud noises, especially thunderstorms, and he panics. Casey will do anything, and I mean ANYTHING, to get out of wherever he is and has torn himself and his house up pretty badly - fortunately, he's never gotten lost but it's a huge worry for them. We live in Houston, and there are thunderstorms here all the time, almost daily in the summer, so it's really difficult.

I'm very glad that Toby doesn't have the same fear.
    Toby and Chamois say: GO STEELERS!
    [[IMG][/IMG]

tootsiesmom is offline Senior Member

And storms too. UGH, I'll never forget the day I heard screeching tires in front of a home I lived at during college. VERY busy road and it was right after a storm. A dog bolted away from home and was hit. The dog did not make it, despite the family (very kind) stopping and taking the dog to the vet. They could not get a hold of the owners until after she passed away. AND, the owners were an older couple.....I felt really badly they lost their beloved companion.

boonesmom Guest

boone is deathly afraid of the fireworks--last night, he was shaking so bad. he doesn't normally get on our bed but i tried to get him to lay with us but he was shaking. so i got down on the floor and laid with him. poor guy-he was really tired too, cuz we had brought him to the off leash dog park earlier in the evening. i hope the fireworks are over now but i am sure they will continue for awhile longer.

Kathryn Guest

She was up off and on all night till about 230 this morning. I wasnt pleased with who ever was shooting them off. They are illegal here and they have no respect. Gotta be all about them.
    Dakota has been asleep since I got up this morning. She moves room to room with me but wants to sleep. Poor little girl.

mollyrock is offline Senior Member

I really feel bad for the animals that suffer from fear of the fireworks and thunderstorms...