Bye Bye Crate for Simon

Thread: Bye Bye Crate for Simon

AngusFangus is offline Senior Member

DefaultBye Bye Crate for Simon

Well, today we are making it official. No more crate for Simon.

We bought him one of those wicker deals. Looks great. Makes a huge mess when he panics and strips off a panel of wicker. The first time he did it, he'd had diarrhea in his crate. The smell along with the sight of these long, thin strips lying on the floor, and I thought he had a monster case of worms.

Anyway, it doesn't really seem to serve much purpose except to make him miserable. I've been thinking, if he is that unhappy in it, why am I pushing it? He does just fine in the kitchen without it. Sleeps under the table and, to my knowledge, he's never touched a thing that was not his (well, except for the starfish).

I was worried about kenneling him, and what he would do while we were gone, but he seems to have survived. If push came to shove, I could always kennel he and Angus in different places, and allow Simon to have a little more freedom.

So, out it goes into the garage. We'll hang onto it for a while in case we change our minds, and eventually donate it to a rescue group.

While we're at it, we're also upgrading Angus. We're going to try some bedding in his crate and see how that goes. Let us all pray he doesn't eat it.

Connie and "The Boys":
    Angus, Yellow Lab, CGC, RE, CD
    Simon, d.b.a. Flat Coated Retriever, CGC, RE, CD

Gone ahead, but forever in my heart:
    Crash, Pit Bull x Rottweiler x Golden Retriever

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

zoesmom is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: Bye Bye Crate for Simon

Woo hoo, Simon! Please be a good boy.

And you too, Angus. No shredding the bedding.

Connie, I too was so worried leaving Zoe unattending in the during work days. We had no choice after her surgery, and she did remarkably well.
    Linda and Zoë, the Umlaut
    Honolulu, Hawaii

[

mollyrock is offline Senior Member

I think you are doing the right thing for Simon, Connie..
    some dogs just can't handle it. I think Simon will be just fine.
    My mom's dog who was a rescue, just never could be crated..he panicked and it made him miserable. For the last 12
    years he has been just fine free reign...
    My sister's dog is a rescue too...they tried crating her because it is what you are supposed to do...she panicked too in her crate and was miserable..for the last 2 or so years she has been with my sister, she has never once gotten into trouble being left free in the house.
    My brother's Golden Retriever that he got as a pup, screamed his head off from the very moment they tried to crate train...he had crate trained all his other dogs...it wasn't until they gave up and scrapped trying to force the crate issue that he was able to settle down at night and was trustworthy in the house from the moment he was not crated.

I do believe crating is best for most dogs..until they can be trusted..but nothing is ever "one size fits all"

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

RangerMom is offline Senior Member

Bye, bye crate. Be a good dog (I think he will). Hope you have success with Angus and the bedding. I've tried repeatedly with Reg and he always eats the bedding in a day or two.

Blackie and Ranger ...............................Reggie: 1996-2010 "Fly Reggie Fly"

Bye bye crate!!

Angus, don't be a monkey and eat the bedding!

Henery sleeps outside of his crate at night, and is crate-less when I'm outside puttering around or gone for less than a half hour... haven't tried him for longer than that!!

AngusFangus is offline Senior Member

We've left them unattended in the kitchen while we are in other parts of the house for fairly long periods, and outside puttering around too. They just sleep, usually. It may not be too much longer before Angus can be crateless too.

Connie and "The Boys":
    Angus, Yellow Lab, CGC, RE, CD
    Simon, d.b.a. Flat Coated Retriever, CGC, RE, CD

Gone ahead, but forever in my heart:
    Crash, Pit Bull x Rottweiler x Golden Retriever

WOO-HOO!!! Yay!!!
    ByE bYe CrAtE!!!
    ;D

georgie is offline Senior Member

Good news for you Simon. be a good boy now. And Angus...don't eat the bedding.You will be more comfortable with it. Abby still eats her crate pads. :