Lucy and frequent urination, sudden onset..advice needed
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Lucy and frequent urination, sudden onset..advice needed

mollyrock is offline Senior Member

DefaultLucy and frequent urination, sudden onset..advice needed

A little brief history..
    Lucy has never had a UTI ...
    My new pup Cricket started exhibiting signs of a UTI last Thursday..frequent urination..every 20 minutes or so which was not normal. I brought a urine sample in on Thursday and it turned out she did have an infection and I am treating her with antibiotics.
    We were away at my brother's house for the weekend in NY and brought Lucy and Cricket.
    On Saturday, I noticed Lucy urinating much more frequently as well but I was not sure if it was because she was in a new place and "marking" her new surroundings. I called my Vet and asked if there was a possiblity that Lucy had a UTI as well...they though it unlikely but not out of the question and suggested I bring in a urine sample today.
    Well of course, the symptoms seemed to go away and I thought I was being paranoid...yesterday we traveled home and Lucy appeared to be just fine...a few more pees than usual but not excessive.
    Today I got home from work and she is asking to go out and peeing 3 times in a row..each time she is peeing some urine..the first being the most pee and then a few more squats of some pee...and then she comes inside. If she is resting she doesn't seem to be uncomfortable or in any distress. Physical activity seems to bring on the urge to pee.
    Of course, my Vet is long closed and Lucy doesn't appear to be in danger or in distress.
    Tomorrow is a Holiday so what do I do?
    Do I wait until Wed to bring in a sample of urine or does this warrant a trip to the Emergency Vet tomorrow?
    And is it normal for more than one dog in a household to have a UTI? Are they contagious?

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

DefaultRe: Lucy and frequent urination, sudden onset..advice needed

UTI's are not contagious. It sounds like she does have a UTI though. If she's not showing signs of distress and has no blood in her urine I would wait until Wednesday and take a sample into the vet.

bibber is offline Senior Member

My two have never had a UTI, but I would think that it would be safe to wait until Wednesday if they aren't having any other symptoms than a lot of peeing. Poor girls.

Brenda, Sam & Bodie

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

AngusFangus is offline Senior Member

I'm with Brenda, I think it can wait for your regular vet on Wednesday as long as she doesn't seem uncomfortable. How bizarre that they would both have a UTI at the same time. ???

Connie and "The Boys":
    Angus, Yellow Lab, CGC, RE, CD
    Simon, d.b.a. Flat Coated Retriever, CGC, RE, CD

Gone ahead, but forever in my heart:
    Crash, Pit Bull x Rottweiler x Golden Retriever

zoesmom is offline Senior Member

Sorry to hear about Cricket & Lucy. No advice as Zoe has been fortunate not to have one yet.

I'm wondering what causes it.

Hope both will be fine soon.
    Linda and Zoë, the Umlaut
    Honolulu, Hawaii

[

Give her some plain natural yogurt until you go see the vet - may help and it won't hurt.

Blondedog Guest

Sorry to hear the girls aren't well. I Hope they are feeling better soon.

WigWag Guest

Hmmmm. No UTIs are not contagious as mentioned. I would not worry about her worsening tomorrow or panic about her not being seen until Wednesday. That said, I don't think it's a UTI.

New pup? Labrador? How long have you had her?

It sounds to me that Lucy is marking and that is quite normal for a dog who has a new puppy. My Scout will actually lift her leg to mark and will pee a few times each trip out for days after a new dog has visited her yard or on walks or in someone else's yard who has a dog.

The Texas Tank is offline Senior Member

I think Sharon might have something there.
    Sandie, Tank 5/25/1998 - 07/08/2011, Orson & Sully

mollyrock is offline Senior Member

Thanks guys, I won't panic.
    Sharon, Cricket is a Cairn Terrier, she has been with us for about a month and this business of Lucy peeing frequently is very sudden and Lucy is actually asking to be let out to pee...not something she usually does.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast