Has your lab ever had a bad feeling about one of your friends?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Has your lab ever had a bad feeling about one of your friends?

bibber is offline Senior Member

DefaultHas your lab ever had a bad feeling about one of your friends?

We had a BBQ on Saturday, about 15 people came over. Bodie did not like one of our friends, and I mean he really didn't like him. He was fine with everyone else. This friend, Mike, is a dog lover and a nice guy as far as I know. He's really a friend of a friend (not our direct friend), but we all get together fairly often. We see him maybe twice a month, but always out, not at our house, and we have known him for over 5 years. He is kind of the reason we got a dog in the first place. He got a puppy about 2 months before we got Sam, and we liked his puppy so much that we started talking about getting a dog.

So that's the background. From the moment he walked in the door, Bodie was barking at him. He was not one foot inside, arriving with two other people, and Bodie immediately singled him out and started barking. Mike got down on his knees and reached out his hand to Bodie, and Bodie started growling at him. Mike tried to make friends with Bodie several times throughout the evening, and Bodie continually growled at him. We gave Mike a treat to give Bodie, which Bodie took, but continued with the growling. Bodie went obviously out of his way to not be near Mike for the whole time Mike was over, which was about six hours (he kept the growling and barking up that whole time also if Mike got too close to him, not continual barking, but like a single "get away from me" bark).

I said that Mike is nice "as far as I know" in the first paragraph, because this really made us wonder. Bodie has never reacted to someone like that, especially an invited guest, and he was absolutely fine and friendly with the other 14 people. Also, we couldn't figure out anything that might be different about Mike, like the way he looked, we thought maybe the smell of his dog, but almost everyone over had cats or dogs, etc. VERY weird. I asked Mike if he was a serial killer, and only Bodie had him figured out.

Brenda, Sam & Bodie

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

mitziandjudysmom is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: Has your lab ever had a bad feeling about one of your friends?

My guess is that Mike may have an unusual smell that only Bodie can detect, or there may be something very subtle about his body language that Bodie doesn't like.

AngusFangus is offline Senior Member

Wow, that's weird, isn't it?

I haven't had exactly the same experience, but there is one guy in our neighborhood that Angus doesn't like. He's a high school football coach, nice as can be, but Angus acts like he wants to eat him alive every time we run into him. :-[

Connie and "The Boys":
    Angus, Yellow Lab, CGC, RE, CD
    Simon, d.b.a. Flat Coated Retriever, CGC, RE, CD

Gone ahead, but forever in my heart:
    Crash, Pit Bull x Rottweiler x Golden Retriever

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Moby is like that with my SIL. From the first moment he laid eyes on her he barked, growled and even had his hackles up. To this day he know we she pulls in the driveway...goes completely nuts like Cujo...BTW she is a kind of EVIL!!

labby is offline Senior Member

Yes and I always trust the dog.

Laura

zoesmom is offline Senior Member

Zoe doesn't like a neighbor across the street...the wife and the son.
    She's fine w/the husband and the nephew who lives there.

She doesn't growl, but will shy away from them.
    Linda and Zoë, the Umlaut
    Honolulu, Hawaii

[

TobysTrix is offline Senior Member

So far Toby has liked all of our friends and most other people he's met. But there have been a few strangers that he's clearly been uncomfortable around, and I most definitely trust his reaction.

That said, there's one friend's GF that I wish he didn't like...
    Toby and Chamois say: GO STEELERS!
    [[IMG][/IMG]

Yes.

Not a friend, a date. Henery, who normally loves EVERYBODY, barked and growled at this guy, came out, sniffed him and went back inside. Very NOT Henery. Wouldn't have anything to do with him after that.

I trusted Hen's instinct and never went out the guy. As it turned out, he wasn't all that he said he was either. :

georgie is offline Senior Member

I would trust the dog. Molly doesn't like our one neighbor. I once saw him kick their dog so maybe Molly sensed this. She also doesn't care for one member of our lab club & I think he isn't the greatest dog trainer, so I trust them. They are usually right about people.

i always trust my dogs instincts

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast