Did anyone watch Animal Planet last night?

Thread: Did anyone watch Animal Planet last night?

TobysTrix is offline Senior Member

DefaultDid anyone watch Animal Planet last night?

Yesterday evening, Animal Planet ran several dog-shows. I'm not much of a TV watcher (CNN mostly), and so Toby normally ignores it completely. He did watch the Croft's dog show a while back but is generally uninterested.

But last night's shows were K-9 Boot Camp, about training military dogs, and The Wolf Within, about dogs, wolves, people, and co-evolution and adaptation. Good stuff, actually. But the best part was that Toby was absolutely riveted! He sat on the couch with his eyes glued to the set. When something was particularly interesting, he'd get up and walk right up to the screen. What I found most amusing, however, was that he'd vocalize occasionally (he's not a bark-y dog at all normally) - sometimes letting out deep WOOF!s and sometimes making noises like Chewbacca towards the TV. When we switched to the news, he went back to being completely disinterested.

Anyone who says dogs don't recognize images of other dogs would have had to eat their words if they'd seen him. Dog stuff? Completely absorbed. Non-dog stuff? Couldn't have cared less. Anyone else have similar experiences?
    Toby and Chamois say: GO STEELERS!
    [[IMG][/IMG]

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

DefaultRe: Did anyone watch Animal Planet last night?

Oh yes. Sunday mornings I watch CBS Sunday Morning. Sometimes before it comes on, I'll have Animal Planet on...Tucker will walk over to the tv, watching and listening intently to the dogs and people.

So funny

AngusFangus is offline Senior Member

It is really funny you would bring this up.

Before we left for vacation, Kevin was watching an episode of LOST that he had recorded. He's re-watching them ALL : Taking up all the space on our DVR. ANYWAY...

It was the episode where everyone is reunited on the beach after the kidnapping (I think). Shannon was just killed. Anyway, the whole segment is just music. No sound. Slow-mo running towards each other and hugging and weeping. Very touching. I remember commenting that I thought that's how heaven would be, soundtrack and everything :P

Anyway, at one point, the Lab comes running towards Michael. The boys had just been sitting there chewing their bones until that point. When they saw the Lab on the screen, they BOTH very abruptly got up and trotted over, heads tilted, and started nosing him on the screen!

When we watch Animal Planet, I never knew for sure if the images were drawing their attention or if it was all the doggie noises. But this PROVED to us both that they recognized the image of a dog. There was no dialogue and no noises, only music. We are completely convinced!

BTW, I remember seeing "The Wolf Within" and really liking it.

Connie and "The Boys":
    Angus, Yellow Lab, CGC, RE, CD
    Simon, d.b.a. Flat Coated Retriever, CGC, RE, CD

Gone ahead, but forever in my heart:
    Crash, Pit Bull x Rottweiler x Golden Retriever

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

TobysTrix is offline Senior Member

Right, I forgot to mention that it was more the images than the sound that Toby was responding to. He would WOOF when the GSDs in the Boot Camp show started barking, but he did NOT start howling when the wolves and dogs did on the Wold Within show. Fortunately. And he was most interested in the sequence where they had what seemed like 100 dogs of various breeds running free down a beach with nothing but music for the soundtrack. It was awesome footage. It got his lazy butt up off the couch and nosing at the screen.
    Toby and Chamois say: GO STEELERS!
    [[IMG][/IMG]