Tail position

Thread: Tail position

AngusFangus is offline Senior Member

DefaultTail position

Angus has always been a "tail up" kind of boy. As in straight up, all the time, carried like a flag. I have always read that it denotes great confidence and self-assurance. That he is. ;D

When we first got Simon, his tail was carried very low, sometimes between his legs. :-\ Then for several months it flattened out and he carried it in line with his topline. Over the past month or so, I have noticed that now he, too, is carrying it high. ;D

I don't really know whether this is anything to be proud of or rejoice about. Perhaps it means that I have not one, but two dominant personalities on my hands. But I like to think that it just means that we have given Simon more security and confidence about himself. And I like to think that I have confident, happy, secure dogs. :P A hallmark of Crash's personality was always his self-confidence and unflappable nature. I am not sure, of course, but I am hoping it is something that I have instilled in them, in some way.

Connie and "The Boys":
    Angus, Yellow Lab, CGC, RE, CD
    Simon, d.b.a. Flat Coated Retriever, CGC, RE, CD

Gone ahead, but forever in my heart:
    Crash, Pit Bull x Rottweiler x Golden Retriever

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

JacobAlthea&Tatum is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: Tail position

Quote Originally Posted by AngusFangus

I don't really know whether this is anything to be proud of or rejoice about. Perhaps it means that I have not one, but two dominant personalities on my hands. But I like to think that it just means that we have given Simon more security and confidence about himself.
    I think that it means Simon is more secure.

J&A both carry their tails straight up, and we celebrate each time we see Tatum's go up, too. I think it just means happy dogs.
    I'm Jenn. Keeper of two labs in my home and one forever in my heart.

Throw the ball, damn it!

jzgrlduff is offline Senior Member

Definitely, Connie! If he carried it sometimes tucked under before - definitely!!! You don't have two dominant dogs, you have two HAPPY dogs! ;D

"Each is a creature of Earth and is entitled to reside on it with dignity"

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

You done good, Connie! I agree with Amy... you have two happy dogs!! ;D

Henry carries his tail straight up too when we're out walking... at home or at daycare, it's more relaxed. :

It's funny how you can read their tails, isn't it? With Tucker, his normal position is tail down, relaxed, just swishing back and forth...he reminds us of a lion...when he's roaming around walking.

When playing, tail's usually out straight out or up; when I'm talking to him in that sing-song-y voice, tail up and waggin'.

When he sees people or somebody's coming, it's tail up, expectantly! When in the field sniffing something, tail UP...somethin's here, somethin's here...don't see anything, but I know somethin's HERE! ;D

zoesmom is offline Senior Member

Yay Simon! You have gained self confidence.

Zoe is a high tailer most the times. She's too self confident.
    Linda and Zoë, the Umlaut
    Honolulu, Hawaii

[