Question re: vaccinations & neutering

Thread: Question re: vaccinations & neutering

jzgrlduff is offline Senior Member

DefaultQuestion re: vaccinations & neutering

I took Tucker to the vet Saturday for his yearly and while I was there I asked when Frankie was due for his 1 year vaccinations. He's due in August. Frankie just turned 15 months old so I'm planning on having him neutered anytime now. I thought about doing his vaccinations and neutering at the same time in August, just to save an extra trip and an extra $65 office visit charge. The vet tech said that they can be done at the same time. She also said that if I do it separate then he needs his vaccinations first and then we have to wait 2 weeks for the neutering. I don't understand that. On one hand they can be done together but if we decide not then we have to wait 2 weeks? :-X

Are there any risks in having them done together? I'm already worried sick about having him put under for the nuetering

"Each is a creature of Earth and is entitled to reside on it with dignity"

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Kathryn Guest

DefaultRe: Question re: vaccinations & neutering

Maggie and the cat were both spayed and got their shots at the same time. We also saved $50 doing it that way!
    I never heard that there were any risks. ???

I wouldn't do it together. Vaccines are hard enough on the body and if the dog is under any stress or in any way unhealthy it is unwise to give vaccinations at the same time.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

talleyJudy is offline Senior Member

I'm with threelabs on this one.

Both are a shock/stress on the dog's immune system, and doing both together (surgery&vaccination) add up to quite a load for the immune system to handle.

Yeah, it is done every day, and the vets are seeing more and more autoimmune conditions maskerading as allergies/whatever every day too. :-X
    "If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went." author Will Rogers

Auggie 12/29/95 ~ 01/15/09

My vet does not charge an office call if a dog is coming in just for vaccines. You are charged the price of the vaccine and that's it. IMO, that office call is a rip off.

jzgrlduff is offline Senior Member

I agree - ripoff!! $65 just to walk through the door : Tucker went for his yearly....rabies shot, distemper-parvo vaccine titer, and blood drawn and tested for heartworm, lyme and that other tick disease. $177.75.

"Each is a creature of Earth and is entitled to reside on it with dignity"

I too would do the vac's and neuter seperately. Vaccines tax the immune system and you would not want to compromise any infection fighting ability after the neuter