Bella the bunny killer - for real (no pics!)

Thread: Bella the bunny killer - for real (no pics!)

rottnlab dad is offline Senior Member

DefaultBella the bunny killer - for real (no pics!)

Bella has always had a really strong prey drive (squirrels, rabbits, cats, rats, etc.)* Did I mention rabbits?

WARNING - A BIT GRAPHIC AND DISTURBING (continue reading at your own risk)

We were out this morning at a park and Bella is off-leash enjoying a serious romp through the grasses and brambles and woods.* We were heading back, going along the main path that runs through the park and she spotted a big rabbit.* There are lot of them around here - especially this year we're seeing a ton of them.* So of course she's off after the critter and it dashes into the thick brush and woods with Bella after it.* We can hear Bella crashing through the bushes and we know there's no way she'll catch it.* After a few minutes, as SU and I are standing in the path, the rabbit calmly hops across in front of us and into the woods on the other side of the path from Bella.* After several more minutes of tracking, our girl finally gives up.

So we get back to the entrance of the park where there are a couple of picnic tables and a picnic shelter (open at the front, with full walls on 2 sides and a partial wall at the back).* SU and I are sitting down in the shade cooling off, maybe 30 feet from the shelter, while Bella continues her romping nearby.* Suddenly, she's chasing a little bunny who makes the fatal mistake of going into the shelter.* Bella corners it against the wall and pounces.* In a split second she has the poor little thing in her mouth and is running around with it, heading in our general direction.* After a few very long seconds, the bunny stops moving.* (I think it was actually fortunate that Bella ignored our "drop it" commands - a dead bunny is much better than an almost dead bunny.)* Bella finally drops the bunny just a few feet away from us.* We put her back on leash and I disposed of the corpse, poor little thing.*

Needless to say, it was quite a sobering experience.

I think about Tucker, the sweet yellow lab (I can't remember the member's name) who is so gentle around little birds and bunnies and other animals - so different from my huntress.* {sigh}

Bella

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

DefaultRe: Bella the bunny killer - for real (no pics!)

(wavin' hand)....here we are.

You remembered how Tucker is; gee that's nice.

Matter of fact, Tucker watched a rabbit eating at the edge of the field today, and gave chase for a bit. The rabbit ran into the field, and Tucker just sniffed around in the grass. Would he have done something if he'd caught up with it? Not sure, but I don't think so. Usually he just watches 'em, but once in awhile if he chases, he runs maybe 50 yard at most, then just stops.

They're all different, that's for sure. Hey, maybe Bella'd be good in the fall, on ringnecks.

mitziandjudysmom is offline Senior Member

I wish I could have just one gentle dog like Tucker. All the dogs I have ever had are/were hunter-killers.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

My Dava used to kill everything that came into her sight when I first got her. Now she's too lazy. I'll never forget the "Great Bunny Masacre of 1998." She killed the mother and then found a nest where she had given birth in our backyard. Little bodies everywhere.

My lab Samson never hurt a fly. He caught a baby bunny once and I saw the legs sticking out of his mouth. I yelled for him to drop it and he just opened his mouth and let it roll off his tongue. He looked so sad the rest of the way home, like he had done something wrong. I think he saw little animals as toys more than prey.

Shadow hunts a lot but hasn't caught anything yet. Thank goodness. He almost got a groundhog but I shortened the leash in time.

I guess it just depends on the dog.

Bella is a gorgeous girl and she's probably just doing what she thinks is her job.

rottnlab dad is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by Samsmom1
    My Dava used to kill everything that came into her sight when I first got her.* Now she's too lazy.* I'll never forget the "Great Bunny Masacre of 1998."* She killed the mother and then found a nest where she had given birth in our backyard.* Little bodies everywhere.
    OMG!!! That must have been quite traumatic for you (and you even gave it a catchy name to immortalize the event).
    I don't feel quite as bad now. Thanks.

Bella

JacobAlthea&Tatum is offline Senior Member

Twice, Aly has caught a bunny, and then tossed it up in the air while the bunny screamed. Then she shakes it to death. It is bad enough that she catches them, but she has to torment them, too.

Jacob is scared to death of blood or bodily fluids, and is very grossed out when this happens.
    I'm Jenn. Keeper of two labs in my home and one forever in my heart.

Throw the ball, damn it!

swimmer is offline Senior Member

Perris has NO prey drive (or at least we haven't seen it yet). We have TONS of bunnies in our backyard and she has never once given chase to them. One day she was outside and a morning dove landed three feet from her. Perris turned and looked at the bird and then turned her attention back to us. A lady with a cat in her arms came to our front door to say she'd found her cat and Perris answered the door with me and was interested in the cat but not aggressvie in anyway.

Lexis Mom is offline Senior Member

Egad, I don't know what I'd do if Lexi actually caught anything. The closest she's come is getting anything is a bit of squirrel tail one morning when we were out walking. Th squirrel was dumb enough to jump onto the fence as she rounded the corner right underneath it.

She absolutely chases, in her case it is more like stalks it and that is funny enough. We'll be walking along real nice like & she spy a bunny or squirrel and she goes into stalk mode. She stops panting & I swear does not breathe. She sort of crouches down and moves very softly & slowly, until she gets close enough... then she pounces.

My pretty girl, Lexi!

My Tucker is a chaser too. He loves chasing neighborhood cats that wander around the off leash parks. He has never caught one. I don't know that he'd do anything if he did. I sure hope not!

My parents dogs were all used for hunting. They'd bring my dad baby rabbits and other little creatures all the time. And never any harm done to any of the animals. The dogs would hold them gently in their mouths. It did freak my mom out a couple of times when she'd tell a dog to drop it and hold out her hand and baby bunnie would take off. LOL.

Pattons Padre is offline Member

Rommel is a chaser,

Best move I've ever seen from a squirrel completely flummoxed rommel. We were on a 5K, towards the end so Rommel was petering out some. A squirrel came out from the bush and Rommel decided to give chase. I thought this squirrel was done for, Rommel made a snap and in one more stride would've had it by the tail. The squirrel does not go right, nor does it go left, it pivots, turns and rockets right under Rommel, right between his front legs.

Poor dog tripped over his own head. He had no idea what to do. He looked around for a few seconds as if to say "what the hell was that" and, in typical Rommel fashion, went about his business as though nothing ever happened.