What do you consider a "day"?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: What do you consider a "day"?

DefaultWhat do you consider a "day"?

Max's owner just came to pick him up from boarding. He was dropped off Friday morning about 11:00, and picked up Sunday night just after 11:00 pm. So I charged Sid for three days, Friday, Saturday and Sunday. He seemed surprised, thinking it was only two days (Friday to Saturday and Saturday to Sunday). Am I missing something???

Of course he dished out a $100.00 bill and said he has a credit for next weekend, which is great, but isn't Friday through Sunday 3 days?

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

RangerMom is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: What do you consider a "day"?

Interesting question. If he had picked up Max at 11am on Sunday, then I'd say perhaps it was 2 days. But you watched Max, all day Fri, all day Sat, and all day Sun (for 12 hours) for a total of 36 hours. That's three days to me.

Blackie and Ranger ...............................Reggie: 1996-2010 "Fly Reggie Fly"

Where we take Larry is done by nights, so as to eliminate the problem. Obviously, that would mean he would have gotten charged for 2 nights, not 3. On the other hand, we never drop Larry off that early or pick him up that late. Kind of a tough call.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

AngusFangus is offline Senior Member

Well, you know, I wondered about that too. Hotels have a check in/check out time, so I thought maybe it was the same with dogs, but wasn't really sure. ???

We left Angus and Simon at the kennel on Sunday afternoon about 3:00. We picked them up the following Saturday at 8:30. So, technically, that's a little more than six days. But we just paid for six. Of course, I would have been thrilled to pick them up earlier on Saturday, but the training director was out showing one of her dogs and her husband couldn't be there when our plane landed, so it was not really our choice.

Anyway, that does sound like three full days. But if you're counting overnights only, then just two. I dunno! Maybe other people who board regularly would know what is standard.

Connie and "The Boys":
    Angus, Yellow Lab, CGC, RE, CD
    Simon, d.b.a. Flat Coated Retriever, CGC, RE, CD

Gone ahead, but forever in my heart:
    Crash, Pit Bull x Rottweiler x Golden Retriever

When we have boarded our dogs the standard has been the day you drop off is counted as day 1. If you pick up after 11am (or whatever the dischage time is) then the charge is for another day. So Friday is day 1, Saturday day 2 and since pick up was at 11pm then Sunday would be day 3. I'm impressed you allow for pick up that late at night! You had the dog for three full days so I would think that you were fair.

112deadpool is offline Senior Member

This is an interesting question. I would say it is 3 days. Just think about it like a hotel. If you don't check out by noon they charge you for another day. Maybe that's what you need to do is create an agreement that says dogs can be dropped off in the AM on Fri and must be picked up X time on Sunday and any time after that would incur extra charges.

At daycare, we charge for the day if they're there past 10 am. So In your case, yes it would be three days. He seriously came and got him at 11 pm?!?!

lcspt is offline Senior Member

3 days by my count.
    "In moments of joy all of us wished we possessed a tail we could wag." W. H. Auden

Linda, Kona and Bo

Quote Originally Posted by JacksAndLabs
    He seriously came and got him at 11 pm?!?!
    Ya, but that was o.k., so long as I was still awake! I had just about given up on Sid coming Sunday night and figured he'd pick him up this morning when he called to say he was on his way.

TobysTrix is offline Senior Member

Our daycare/boarding place charges separately for a "day" and an overnight. Days are drop off after 7 AM and pick up before 7 PM (they don't split charges for half-days, it's a whole day regardless). Sundays, pick-up must be by 4 PM. With pre-arrangement, you can do a late pick-up but that costs extra. Overnights are, well, over night. Duh, sounds obvious but it does help distinguish the charges. I think that if you pick up your dog right at 7 AM when they start accepting daycare dogs for drop-off, you avoid the charges for the following day. So if I had left Toby at our place for the amount of time you describe, I would have expected to pay two overnights, three days, plus a hefty late pick-up fee if they even would have allowed me to pick up that late, which I doubt (even though there's someone there 24 hours a day).

I think you were completely right to charge for three days. But you might want to consider breaking up the charges into day and night fees just to eliminate more confusion in the future, and maybe put a last pick-up time in there as well. You're definitely nicer than I am, I wouldn't want someone coming over that late on a Sunday night.
    Toby and Chamois say: GO STEELERS!
    [[IMG][/IMG]

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast