Is this how they start slowing down?

Thread: Is this how they start slowing down?

Chester B. Dickens is offline Senior Member

DefaultIs this how they start slowing down?

I've noticed Wesley's walks are changing -- particularly the after-dinner one. He used to be 1000% enthusiastic during these walks, investigating every tree, bush, squirrel, bird, and chipmunk. Pee here, niff there, bark at that, prance/dance all around the neighborhood. Life was his oyster.

He turned six this past April.

And now..... I dunno... that evening walk is much more sedate. I'll look down and -- to my shock -- find him walking in heel position on his own. And a taunting rabbit might get a tug on the leash but just as well might get a 'Meh, Too hot, Mr Bunny. Eff you. From over here..."

His MORNING walk is still balls-to-the-wall, but his evening one has definitely turned into more of a stroll....................

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Bob Pr. is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: Is this how they start slowing down?

My beloved Bess (BF, AKC bench line, 55 lbs., 1967-81) began slowing down at age seven, shortly after having a radical mastectomy and lymphectomy.

My beloved Puff (YF, AKC field line, 63 lbs., dob: 8-'01) is still very much a puppy but, in approaching 5 years old, seems just a little more adult.
    Puff [YF, AKC field line (from competing HT/FT breeder) 62 lbs, dob: 8-'01]

Bess [BF, AKC bench line (from competing show breeder) 55 lbs., 1967-1981] "Poor Bess, the Wonder Dog":
    http://forum.justlabradors.com/showt...?p=748#post748

einstein's legacy is offline Senior Member

Could it be the heat?? I know my dogs slow down in the heat. Could be that he's got all his umpfh....in the a.m. and after dinner he'd just like to sit down with a cigar and a bowl of Port!

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Taffys Mom is offline Senior Member

Is it just the last few days that you noticed this? It has been so warm, that maybe by the end of the day the heat has him zapped. Especially since he's raring to go in the mornings.

Taffy will be 8 in Sept. and is now classified at the vet's as a senior. It depressed us a bit, but when we walked out to the front counter to pay, she certainly bounced around more like a puppy - I had to remind her to act her age! I do believe she was showing the vet who knows best!

Try not to let these little natural changes get you down Dan. Six is still very young, IMO. If you spend lots of time dwelling on them, you tend not to appreciate the here and now. Make sense?

zgirls is offline Senior Member

Ahhh, Dan, I know what you mean.......Zoe is 6 also.........I tell her we are two middle-aged ladies strolling around together....and that we are going to look as elegant as we can......so off we go for walks, she with her head high, ears alert, looking very dignified and me keeping my back straight and a bounce in my step.....two good-looking girls if I do say so myself......
    Lee
    Mother of Zoe Mae and Zeb AKA The Mess Pot

AngusFangus is offline Senior Member

Aw, I think a lot of it could just be the heat. Even Angus loses his enthusiasm when it is as hot as it's been, and he's not even two yet!

And honestly, would that be so bad really, if it was just taking things in at a more leisurely pace? Six is still so young! And I think they are so, so dear when they begin to enjoy just being in your company

Connie and "The Boys":
    Angus, Yellow Lab, CGC, RE, CD
    Simon, d.b.a. Flat Coated Retriever, CGC, RE, CD

Gone ahead, but forever in my heart:
    Crash, Pit Bull x Rottweiler x Golden Retriever

Chester B. Dickens is offline Senior Member

I can't remember if this behavior pre-dates our hot spells or not. Methinks it doesn't, but maybe it is more *maturing* than the big clock winding down.....

Hope so, at any rate....

jzgrlduff is offline Senior Member

It's probably a combo of "maturing" and the heat, Dan. Moreso the heat probably. I just posted in Lee's thread that I am amazed at the change in my two when it's hot. Especially Frankie! He actually - shock - naps on the deck most of the day They definitely are both alot slower on our nightly walks. In the morning they're raring to go!!!

"Each is a creature of Earth and is entitled to reside on it with dignity"