Help? The 24 Hour Rule?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Help? The 24 Hour Rule?

AngusFangus is offline Senior Member

DefaultHelp? The 24 Hour Rule?

Simon just threw up. :-[ Mostly it looked like a big ole wad of grass, with some yellow bile mixed in. About a fistful. No projectile, he brought it up.

Do you all enforce the 24 Hour Rule for grass vomit? I always do if there is no good cause for the vomiting that I can see, but when Angus has thrown up plant material I sometimes have let him eat afterward and he's been fine. Just thinking, you know, a wad of grass is going to make you throw up no matter what.

Thoughts? I just made some ground turkey that I could feed him with rice...

Connie and "The Boys":
    Angus, Yellow Lab, CGC, RE, CD
    Simon, d.b.a. Flat Coated Retriever, CGC, RE, CD

Gone ahead, but forever in my heart:
    Crash, Pit Bull x Rottweiler x Golden Retriever

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

DefaultRe: Help? The 24 Hour Rule?

what is the 24 hour meal? If my dog throws up, I give a lighter meal(about half as much as usual) and see if they can hold it down. If they can, the next meal is normal.

AbbyandMolly is offline Senior Member

Last time Molly threw up it was just like Angus' that you just described. I waited about an hour to see if she threw up again, and she didn't so I split her meal up into 1/4 cup incriments every 20-30 minutes (i figured it was enough time since that's when she usually goes out to potty)There was no rhyme nor reason to my method and nobody suggested it, it just made me feel better

I sure hope Angus feels better.
    *Stacey*
    ~Abby, Molly, and Penny (the honorary lab)

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Labsrme is offline Senior Member

I feed my dogs twice a day, so if they throw up a meal I wait until the next meal and feed as usual. If it's just a minor stomach upset I don't think they need to wait 24 hours to eat again.

biscuit is offline Senior Member

I use the 24 hour rule on a case by case basis. If I know the reason for the vomiting (e.g., a big ole' wad of sticks and grass, and some bile just for good measure), then I will chalk it up to the roughage eaten, and I'd wait a couple of hours and give a light meal of regular food. However, if it seems like a true intestinal upset, with vomiting and diarrhea, then I do the 24 hours of no food to really settle things down and then proceed with rice and turkey and/or hamburger, and probably make a call to the vet, just in case.

It probably couldn't hurt to give Simon a light dinner of some easily digested food later tonight just to see how he does.

Poor thing- I hope he's feeling better. Biscuit eats that stuff too, but with him, the throwing up usually occurs at 3am :.
    <br />Kristin &amp; Biscuit

zoesmom is offline Senior Member

Zoe sometimes throws up .... sometimes grass, other times her whole meal.

If she acts the same (i.e., not lethargic, responds to commands, etc) I feed her the same at her next regular meal.
    Linda and Zoë, the Umlaut
    Honolulu, Hawaii

[

TrappersMom is offline Senior Member

Trapper had been grazing in the yard last weekend and later threw up grass and yellow bile, but other than that he acted fine. I swear sometimes he's part cow! We waited about an hour and nothing else came up so we fed him his regular supper and had no problems.

You might want to give him just a little for starters, and if you get the "What's up with this?" look, give him more. lol
    Dot in Northern Illinois

Sounds good to me! Thanks all, I was leaning that way too but just thought I'd check.

I have this extra turkey anyway, so I think I'll just give him that and some rice. I'm sure he's fine. Seems otherwise normal. Walking around looking like, "Um, excuse me...dinner? What time?"

Connie and "The Boys":

Taffys Mom is offline Senior Member

I think it may just be from the boarding Connie. When we've boarded Taffy, we've always been sent home with instructions for what to expect after. (And got similar literature from other places we were investigating as well). Stomach upsets are common. Give him a day or two and see how he is.

Really Denise? Oh wow, I had no idea it was so common that they hand out literature about it. :-[

Update: That was not all the throwing up. We found two more little piles of bile in the kitchen, so I changed my mind and I am going to let his tummy rest tonight. He's in there under the kitchen table (again). He seems to do that when he doesn't feel well. Poor guy.

Angus seems to be doing fine, thank goodness.

Connie and "The Boys":

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast