Mr.Comment (update..Connie come read!!)
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Mr.Comment (update..Connie come read!!)

AbbyandMolly is offline Senior Member

DefaultMr.Comment (update..Connie come read!!)

There's a man a few streets down from us at our beach place who everytime I walk by with one of the dogs (mainly Molly) has a stupid comment to make or a suggestion for training.

Today's stupid comment:
    I was walking down the street with Molly who decided today was a great day to pull no matter what I did. I kept reinforcing my "treeness" (aka standing like a tree) and telling her "Molly, no pull" when there was slack I'd tell her "good no pull" Most of our neighbors think it's funny since I'm constnatly talking to her

Mr.Comment sees this and replies "Hey, no pull isn't a command you should be telling her to heel that means for her to stop" to which I said "No sir when I tell my dog to heel that means I want them right by my left side and nowhere else. No pull simply means I like my arms so stop pulling" He says "That's insane. I have to yellow labs and when I shout heel they stop what they're doing" I just smiled and kept walking.

Mr.Comment does indeed have two yellow labs who you never see go for walks because they pull so hard that the man might fall over. Maybe if he walked them separate they would walk nicer. I have never seen either of his dogs obey a command as simple as "sit" and he's going to tell me that "no pull" isn't a command. Well, it is if ya want it to be.

Yesterday he told me that while I'm walking my dog it's not time for a training session. While Molly and I walk I reinforce our sits/stays when a car or person passes. I tell her to "leave it" if I want her to not pick something up or I tell her to "leave it" as in another animal. I always click her good behavior and somtimes I give out treats. I'm pretty positive this guy is nuts.

UPDATE
    Connie I had sooooooooooo much fun messing with Mr.Comments mind!!! On our evening walk he was outside with his kids who of course wanted to pet Molly. I put her in a sit stay and asked them to pet her chest first and work their way up to her head (just something I was taught to do and have people do with my dogs). If Molly isn't staying she'll jump immediately. After they petted her I realased her from the stay and she niffed and niffed, and then Mr.Comment piped up.

"Why did you make her stay? She's a dog, she can jump if she wants" to which I replied "I wouldn't want a full grown lab jumping on me so we've taught our girls to keep all fours on the ground" he gave me a look and said "well, stay is a useless command, dogs never stay anyway. I bet if I threw this ball right here that she would go after it even if you commanded her to stay" me being the meanie that I am said "nah she'd stay" I told her to stay, Mr.Comment tossed the ball about 15 feet in front of Molly and she did not budge until relased

After talking for a bit mr. comment brought his boys out and the youngest one promptly jumped at my face and knocked me right down on my butt, which I was none to happy about, but then agian what did I expect after his comment about stay being useless. I got so many kisses and earlicks that I couldn't help but laugh as I pushed him off me while trying not to let Molly's leash go.

This man is now my constant source of amusement lol
    *Stacey*
    ~Abby, Molly, and Penny (the honorary lab)

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

zoesmom is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: Mr.Comment (story...this man drives me crrrrrazy)

Ha
    Some people always have to give side remarks ...
    A command, no matter how strange sounding, is still a command.

How many people give the command "rigor mortis" to their dogs. LOL When I say that, I want her on her back w/her legs up in the air.
    Linda and Zoë, the Umlaut
    Honolulu, Hawaii

[

AngusFangus is offline Senior Member

That's insane. I have to yellow labs and when I shout heel they stop what they're doing
    Oh, OK, that makes sense. So, when he tells them to "sit" do they lie down immediately? When he says "Come" do they run the other way as fast as they can?

In my best Red Foreman voice: "Dumbass."

And that comment about a walk not being time for a training session??? BAHAHAHAHA! EVERY MOMENT of EVERY DAY is a good time for a training session! That's how you end up with a dog that will obey you anytime, anywhere, anyplace. Not just in your living room.

(Not that I'm saying I'm there yet :P )

Connie and "The Boys":
    Angus, Yellow Lab, CGC, RE, CD
    Simon, d.b.a. Flat Coated Retriever, CGC, RE, CD

Gone ahead, but forever in my heart:
    Crash, Pit Bull x Rottweiler x Golden Retriever

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Oh brother!! : Don't you just love those who think they know it all and feel the need to share it! LOL!

I suppose that perhaps to his labs "heel" means "quit what you're doing", he could just as easily say "fork!" to them which, if he trained them that way, could also mean "quit what you're doing". It's just his "heel" and your (and everyone else's!!) "heel" don't mean the same thing. :P

Just for the record, whenever I walk Henery, it's a great training session... how else are you going to train in distractions??

OK, this guy is vicariously irritating me so much that I find myself unable to shut up.

Next time he comes out with a smart comment, start asking him questions about what he's basing these training methods on. Where did he learn to train? What books has he read? How many years has he been training dogs? Has he studied with other trainers?

Let him say all his really stupid things, then just give him a blank face and say, "Well, that's very interesting."

Connie and "The Boys":

Oh my gosh Connie you have me roflmao over here!!! Tonight when I walk Molly I plan to stop as close to his street as possible and do some sit/stays and some down/stays possibly combined with some of our "heel" work since I'm trying to teach Molly how to heel lol
    *Stacey*

haha Linda I want to teach Molly that one!! Our golden used to do "rigor mortis" it was my favorite thing ever when I was little.

Abby never caught on lol
    *Stacey*

DefaultRe: Mr.Comment (update..Connie come read!!)

HAHAHAHA!!!! Ohhh man, that is so awesome!

WTG for taking the high road and just showing him how it's done! And YAY for your good, good Molly girl on the stay! That's really impressive! I can't say I would've been 100% sure Angus would do the same under those circumstances. ;D

Maybe he will shut his pie hole now :P

Connie and "The Boys":

Ha! I half expected Molly to go after the ball when he tossed it, but we play a "game" at home where I have her sit and stay before she can get a toy. We only do that short distances though She's good when she wants to be

Hopefully he will be quiet now lol
    *Stacey*

Kathryn Guest

OMG this is so funny! Makes you feel good that you can train your dogs. When other people find it to hard to get the dog to mind they blame it on the dog. that it is point less to teach...

Good stay Molly.
    You and Dakota did great today! You both can stay!!!!!!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast