flooring question again
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: flooring question again

Defaultflooring question again

Hi all!

We are in the process of building a new house. They just put the hardwood down yesterday and my DH is flipping out about Lucy scratching it up. I've done a lot of research and I've heard that if you keep their claws trimmed that it should be fine. That being said, has anybody had trouble with hardwood floors? Does anybody have any helpful hints? I need information to help settle my DH. I offered to try baby socks on her feet or these softpaws things I found on the internet. Anybody ever tried them? Lucy will be five months on July 4th. She is an extremely calm puppy. She is going to be big though. She weighs 43 lbs. and could well top 90 when she is full grown. Not ideal for hardwood floors, I know.

I love my dog, I love my floors and I love my DH...I need to find a way for all three to live in harmony!

Thanks for much for any help you can provide!

Kristy
    and Lucy

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

DefaultRe: flooring question again

Sorry but first off DH needs to get a grip. Since you already had the dog before he put in his precious flooring then he knew the nails could scratch it up. (Sorry, just a pet peeve of mine.)
    OK on to help:
    1) Soft Claws will help but with playing outside or walks can make them fall off faster than they were designed for.
    2) Personally I would suggest getting a dremmel and learning how to grind her nails. By grinding them you can get the nails shorter than just clipping. DO NOT grind the nails until you learn how from someone else. Contact your local Kennel Club or ask your vet. There should be someone nearby who grinds the nails and can show you how to do it and what to look for so you don't grind them too short. By consistant and correct grinding you will be able to get the quick farther back and her nails won't even touch the ground.

If nails are kept too short then it can open the dog up to injuries since they are used for traction. You will have to find a good medium where the nails don't touch the floor on a regular basis but can still help her when needed. Also as a word of warning for a wood floor I would trim the hair between her toes so that she won't slip and fall quite as much.

Mama3tikes is offline Senior Member

I have hard wood flooring through out my house, Koko at 8 months has not scratch the floors at all (and we play fetch in the hallway if the weather is bad!). The only "problem" we have is her fur is darker than the floors so it really shows up! LOL Ask hubby to take the just wait and see path and watch the floors for any sign of damage. I doubt you'll see any! Good luck and buy stock in swifter you'll use it 2x's a day!

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

The Texas Tank is offline Senior Member

Here is a good site for dremmel info. I do Miss Chia's

http://homepages.udayton.edu/~merens...el/dremel.html

We had parquet floors and the dogs scratched them - even the small dogs. It was only noticeable when the sunlight would shine a certain way.
    Sandie, Tank 5/25/1998 - 07/08/2011, Orson & Sully

JacobAlthea&Tatum is offline Senior Member

I have three labs and wood floors thoughout the house and the dogs haven't hurt them one bit.

My point of view is that life happens, and sometimes you have to sand out the gouges and rough spots. Your dinning room chairs can scuff the floor. Dirt tracked in from outside can scuff the floor. You high heeled shoes can scuff the floor. A dropped knife or scissors can scuff the floor. My point is, this stuff happens and the floors will age. But, in the meanwhile, life will happen and your floors will reflect the good life that has lived upon them.
    I'm Jenn. Keeper of two labs in my home and one forever in my heart.

Throw the ball, damn it!

mitziandjudysmom is offline Senior Member

I have hardwood floor in my bedroom since the early '60s.* *Not the heavy traffic area, but it has seen big dogs jumping on and off my bed every night for the last40 years.* *There are no dog claw scratches, just some marks from my moving heavy furniture around on it.

We had hard wood with our golden retriever. She didn't ever do any damage to them but.........the snow and ice in the winter did as did a small leak in the water line for the fridg. That leak cost us $1500 to repair! The dogs loved the wood to slide on too.

Thanks so much for the info!

How often do you use the dremmel?

I am so happy to hear that many of you have wood floors and do not seem to see much if any damage.

I think my DH's problem is like when you get a new car...that first scratch STINKS, then you ease up a bit. The first time the kids forget and walk in the house with their cleats on I'm sure he'll flip his lid too!

Thanks!

Lucy says thanks too!

Kristy
    and Lucy

We have hard wood floors and Dama is still a puppy, too. So far- no scratches! I think if you make sure to keep her nails trimmed and walk her on rough surfaces like concrete to keep them short, the wood will probably be fine.
    Have you experienced the daily fur ball sweep yet? That's the only thing that drives me crazy... you can really tell how much they shed when it sticks to your bare feet :

Yep!

We have a laminate floor now. I sweep and vaccuum every day. I also have three children and a cat, so dust and fur go hand in hand in my house!

Thanks again!

Kristy
    and Lucy

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast