Where am I going to leave her??
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Where am I going to leave her??

DefaultWhere am I going to leave her??

I am going on vacation in October - I wanted to take Dama with us, but the place we are staying at is strictly NO PETS and since we were invited by others, we can't get another place.... Anyways, what I was wondering was, what do those of you out there look for in a boarding/kennel? Do you prefer it to be part of an animal hospital? How many walks/playtimes a day is typical? I've been researching around here (Tampa) and it seems like they range between 2-3 walks a day and 1-2 playtimes.
    What are some things to look out for as bad signs? I've never left Adama anywhere before and I'm worried* :-[ Let me know...
    Thanks!

Oh! If anyone out there has had good experiences with kennels in Tampa, please let me know their names

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

boonesmom Guest

DefaultRe: Where am I going to leave her??

we leave boone at a kennel not too far from our home. he gets a play yard once a day and potty walks. we have to pay extra for the play yard. have been really happy with them and boone loves to go there. it is hard to leave them--we are going away for a week on the 14th and i already miss my boy !!!
    the only good thing-it makes the coming home easier....

Emyly is offline Senior Member

My babies stay at our veterinarian's office. They have someone come and walk them 4 times aday and are very accommodating. I believe it is $15 a day for large dogs.
    ~Em~

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Don't forget you could board him closer to where you are staying. See if there is a kennel in town you like and if you could visit him there. That way he could enjoy the trip down and back with you but you would be obeying the no pets rule. Just a thought. If you do find one that is near your vacation town rather in your home town make sure you take a copy of his vaccination records and rabies certificate and that you know what they require for vaccinations. Some require more vaccinations than others.

With my dogs, when I can't take them with me I leave them at my vet's office. They have kennels that are in a heated/cooled room but what gives me commfort is that if anything goes wrong with the dogs they are at the vet that takes care of them and they are known to the entire staff (they are a favorite when I come in because they behave themselves and are so sweet) and the vets won't spare a single action to take care of them because they know I would ask for the same tests and care if I was there. Once when I brought in Sake when she was near death's door (she got that sick in the matter of a couple of hours) I looked Dr. Fuller in the eye and said if I have to clean cages in the back to pay off the bill there is nothing you can do that would be too much to save this dog. I know they don't get as many walks or play times like they would at kennel but a weekend without as much playtime with the knowledge that my dog's health is safe is worthwhile to me.

Sorry, thought I was talking about a boy not a girl. Sorry for the gender mix-up.

AngusFangus is offline Senior Member

HEY!! Did you know we were just in Tampa??? ;D

We left the boys with our training director at our obedience club. This was my first time leaving them too, so I can appreciate the "worried sick" feeling. :

This lady has a kennel in her home. Her garage was converted and it's carpeted, central heat and air, several runs for varying purposes in her backyard. Spotless. And, bonus, she sleeps only a few feet away in her living room.

I went with her because she knows Angus and Simon very well - they have been taking classes there for as long as I've had them. Many of the other trainers take their dogs there as well. She comes highly recommended around the club.

I hope it went well. We are picking them up at 8:30 tonight. I cannot wait to see how they are acting when I pick them up.

I don't have any really great advice, but my perception is that I think our vets are so busy taking care of sick dogs that the kenneled dogs wouldn't get a ton of attention. This could vary depending on the vet, I suppose.

Good for you for mustering the courage to do it early! I think it would be easier to start them with this when they were younger.

Personally, when I've been looking I have an almost impossible set of criteria to meet. There was a place that would let them have free roam over several acres. While that sounds great, I don't trust either Angus or SImon with quite that much freedom. On the other hand, I hate the idea of them spending 90% of their time in the kennel with no interaction. There is one kennel I have heard of that is run by a vet tech, and I liked the idea of someone with medical experience being present. There is another place that bills itself as a "Pet Resort," and this was my choice before finding out about Jean. But man, they want a pretty penny for accomodations, and you have to purchase everything else, i.e. Kongs, playtimes, etc., a la carte. For everything I'd want, it could be close to $100 a day.

I would go by and look at them, interview them, and go with who you have a good feeling about.

Connie and "The Boys":
    Angus, Yellow Lab, CGC, RE, CD
    Simon, d.b.a. Flat Coated Retriever, CGC, RE, CD

Gone ahead, but forever in my heart:
    Crash, Pit Bull x Rottweiler x Golden Retriever

I would absolutely go by and check the place out. Give them a surprise visit. See how clean the kennels are, and how happy the boarding dogs are.

I would also pay whatever extra to get them more playtime or walks or whatnot. They're generally sad enough to be in a kennel, so you might as well try to spruce it up a bit.

My suggestion is to check to see if any of the doggie daycare's where you live or where you are going do boarding. This way they play all day. Cinnamon's doggie daycare in Phoenix doesn't kennel the dogs some spend the night in individual little rooms with cots or couchs and some who prefer the group thing get to sleep in the playroom on the couches there or dog beds. The night time attendant sleeps in there also but he can hear all the dogs and the web-monitors show each of the kennel rooms. The attendant can sleep between 10pm and 4am only.

They will take the dog to vet or er of your choice if they get sick. That way your dog isn't exposed to sick animals who may or may not be contatious. Also doggie daycares allow them free roam all day. Ours is from 6am to 10pm.

I have also taken Cinnamon with me to Vegas and boarded her with a host family for an organization called Sleep over Rover. They inspect and certify home care providers for dogs. The one Cinnamon stayed with had a king size bed in the son's room so 2 or 3 dogs that slept in bed at home could sleep with him. There was a limit of 5 dogs in the house. I really loved having her in the same city with me so if anything went wrong I was only 20 minutes away. It was also nice having her on the 5 hour drive.

Wow! Thanks for all the replies! In response to some of the suggestions....

<<Don't forget you could board him closer to where you are staying.>>
    I would love to do that, but I'm going to a remote cabin up in the mountains that does not have a city near by, and we have to go off-road to get there. If the woman who owned the cabin didn't live next door, I would probably tryto sneek her in

<<I would absolutely go by and check the place out. Give them a surprise visit. See how clean the kennels are, and how happy the boarding dogs are.>>
    I plan on doing this next week. I think I found one that sounds good, but I will definitely stop by to check!

<<HEY!! Did you know we were just in Tampa???>>
    I saw that! Did you enjoy the oppressive heat and humidity?? It's been rather brutal around here this summer. Adama always wants to come back in after just a few minutes outside because her black fur gets soooo steamy! (And we go out at 7am and 7pm! )

Thanks again for the suggestions!

AngusFangus is offline Senior Member

LOL! Yes, it was rather oppressive. I think I got a little dehydrated one day. After that, I was indoor girl. We had a great time, though. Lots of watching the sunsets and finding good restaurants. Hurricane's does indeed have the best grouper sandwiches. Went to the Dali Museum, Pier 60 and the pier in Clearwater. Pass-a-Grille was our favorite beach.

Connie and "The Boys":
    Angus, Yellow Lab, CGC, RE, CD
    Simon, d.b.a. Flat Coated Retriever, CGC, RE, CD

Gone ahead, but forever in my heart:
    Crash, Pit Bull x Rottweiler x Golden Retriever

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast