Chlorpheniramine Maleate

Thread: Chlorpheniramine Maleate

DefaultChlorpheniramine Maleate

Anyone know anything about this drug?? I'm posting this for
    a lady I work with. She has a 6 year old yellow lab who was put
    on this medication for allergies. She believes this medication is the cause
    of a few seizers Bay has had. Her vet doesn't think its the medication.
    When I looked it up, it doesn't say anything about seizers being a side
    effect. But the patterns my friend is seeing, after about a week of this drug
    in Bay's system, she has a seizer. I just wondered if anyone here has had experience with
    this or know's anything about it.

Thanks

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

mitziandjudysmom is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: Chlorpheniramine Maleate

It's a common anti-allergy drug available over the counter. My vet had Mitzi on it when her allergy first appeared. Mitz had no ill effects, but it didn't help either. If my dog had a first seizure after being on it for a week, I wouldn't take a chance that it's just a coincidence. There are other anti-allergy drugs.

Cinder4evr is offline Senior Member

It's an antihistamine, and a pretty mild one at that. It's often used by pregnant women as it's so mild. But if you yur friend is concerned take her off it and asee if the seizures stop.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

bump

CaliforniaLabLover is offline Senior Member

Yep- antihistamine (the active ingredient in Chlor-Trimeton). What dosage is the dog on? Any dog can exhibit, like humans, central nervous system excitation (could be seizures, I suppose) as a rare side-effect or if overdosed.

Here is the information from the Plumb's Veterinary Drug Handbook on it:
    Contraindications/Precautions

Chlorpheniramine is contraindicated in patients who are hypersensitive to it or other antihistamines in its class. Because of their anticholinergic activity, antihistamines should be used with caution in patients with angle closure glaucoma, prostatic hypertrophy, pyloroduodenal or bladder neck obstruction, and COPD if mucosal secretions are a problem. Additionally, they should be cautiously used in patients with hyperthyroidism, cardiovascular disease or hypertension.

Reproductive/Nursing Safety

In humans, the FDA categorizes this drug as category B for use during pregnancy (Animal studies have not yet demonstrated risk to the fetus, but there are no adequate studies in pregnant women; or animal studies have shown an adverse effect, but adequate studies in pregnant women have not demonstrated a risk to the fetus in the first trimester of pregnancy, and there is no evidence of risk in later trimesters.)

It is unknown if chlorpheniramine is excreted into milk; use with caution in dams nursing neonates.

Adverse Effects/Warnings

Most commonly seen adverse effects are CNS depression (lethargy, somnolence) and GI effects (diarrhea, vomiting, anorexia). The sedative effects of antihistamines may diminish with time. Anticholinergic effects (dry mouth, urinary retention) are a possibility.

The sedative effects of antihistamines may adversely affect the performance of working dogs.

Chlorpheniramine may cause paradoxical excitement in cats. Palatability is also an issue with this drug and felines.

Overdosage

Overdosage may cause CNS stimulation (excitement to seizures) or depression (lethargy to coma), anticholinergic effects, respiratory depression, and death. Treatment consists of emptying the gut if the ingestion was oral using standard protocols. Induce emesis if the patient is alert and CNS status is stable. Administration of a saline cathartic and/or activated charcoal may be given after emesis or gastric lavage. Treatment of other symptoms should be performed using symptomatic and supportive therapies. Phenytoin (IV) is recommended in the treatment of seizures caused by antihistamine overdoses in humans; barbiturates and diazepam are avoided.

Drug Interactions

Increased sedation can occur if chlorpheniramine is combined with other CNS depressant drugs.

Antihistamines may partially counteract the anticoagulation effects of heparin or warfarin.

~Julie, Rogue, Monty, and Eddy~

"The reason a dog has so many friends is that he wags his tail instead of his tongue." -Anon

They are 4mg tablets and she was taking one a day.