Is your dog afraid of the fireworks?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Is your dog afraid of the fireworks?

Pam
    Pam is offline Senior Member

DefaultIs your dog afraid of the fireworks?

Buddy couldn't care less. Supposedly Choco doesn't either. Thank God!!
    I had a German Shepherd in the late 70's who was petrified. Every 4th of July he would stick his snout under the refrigerator and try to hide. I really think he believed all of him was under it.
    The vet gave us Valium for him. We had to use it whenever there was a loud thunderstorm too.
    Hope all your dogs enjoy the 4th.

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Kimmers is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: Is your dog afraid of the fireworks?

Sam barks at them.
    He does the same with thunder.
    Googball :

Kona couldn't really care less. She got pretty used to them when she was a baby.

Brandi was terrified of them.
    She'd start shaking uncontrollably and want to go hide in a corner poor thing. Never could get her acustomed to them.

Kim & Crew

Beautiful BC, Canada
    JL Member since July 1, 2002

Fear Nothing. Live for Everything.

zoesmom is offline Senior Member

Yes, I don't know if it's the smoke or the sound she doesn't like. If she's in the house, she's fine, even if we can hear the fireworks. Once outside, she wants to come indoors.

yet thunder does not phase her one bit.
    Linda and Zoë, the Umlaut
    Honolulu, Hawaii

[

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

georgie is offline Senior Member

We took Molly to the fireworks & she liked them. This is Abby'as first 4th of July but the thunder doesn't bother her & she knows when she hears the shotguns go off there will be a bumper or duck for her so I am hoping she will be fine.

Pam,we also had a German Sheperd when our boys were young that would sit in the bathtub for days around the fourth, she was terrified of the fireworks & the fireworks the kids in the neighborhood would put off.

Kathryn Guest

It will be interesting to see if baby Dakota is afraid. We have yet to have a thunderstorm here this year... So I don't have a clue as to how shes going to act with the fireworks. I plan on taking her up to the college with me when we go watch them. We are far enough away from them that all we here is a pop.
    Maggie on the other hand as long as I am with her could care less. Copper doesn't care at, I think shes to old and tired to care..

Bob Pr. is offline Senior Member

My beloved Bess (BF, AKC bench line, 55 lbs., 1967-81) was terrified of thunderstorms to the point we gave her 5 mg. Valium when they were coming. She didn't care for the 4th of July fireworks, either.

My beloved Puff (YF, field line, 63 lbs., dob: 8-'01) is very similar but not QUITE as extreme.
    Puff [YF, AKC field line (from competing HT/FT breeder) 62 lbs, dob: 8-'01]

Bess [BF, AKC bench line (from competing show breeder) 55 lbs., 1967-1981] "Poor Bess, the Wonder Dog":
    http://forum.justlabradors.com/showt...?p=748#post748

Labz4Me is offline Senior Member

No, mine aren't afraid of fireworks or thunderstorms. I'm very grateful!

Abby had a "one-day only" fear of our window air conditioner unit. It tripped the electricity in the living room and the noise scared her. I had to turn the unit off to let her go potty or she refused to go down the deck steps. She was over it by morning, thank goodness! She must have short term memory.
    Pat from S.E. Pa
    Abby - CGC
    Jack - OCP (official couch potato)

Allie is offline Senior Member

Teddy could care less. My MIL's chocolate lab Cocoa, however, hates thunderstorms and all loud noises (she was adopted/rescued from an abusive owner). 4th of July makes her very ill and upset, as does thunderstorms. She usually ends up getting 2 benedryl to help calm her.
    Allie, Teddy (6), Emily (7), and Ivy (4)

Belle is, only because they are blown off about half a football field away from our house. We have a large lake right by our house, (live just off it, if I stand on my deck and really crane my neck i can see water) the lake association sends almost 10,000 on fireworks a year, they are bigger and better than my towns fireworks. There is an empty lot adjacent to own house that they shoot them off of, sounds so darn loud that it makes my windows rattle. I always take Belle away for the night, but are never given a warning when they do their practice test run a few days before. My poor baby shakes and crys. Big jerk offs that own the lake. :'(

Pam
    Pam is offline Senior Member

I don't know why the GS was so scared. We got him when he was 3 mos. old and nothing bad ever happened to him that I know of. He used to hang out on the huge deck that was right off the kitchen of that house. He was a great storm detector. An hour or so BEFORE the approach of a thunderstorm, he would panic and scream to come inside. If we didn't get to the door fast enough, he'd start to scratch and claw the glass. Had to replace 2 sets of Anderson glass doors during his lifetime.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast