Don't ya love it when your dog(s) can just run FREE
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Don't ya love it when your dog(s) can just run FREE

DefaultDon't ya love it when your dog(s) can just run FREE

Tucker and I were just in the fields.* Right across from us is a big farm, with open fields and woods.*

He LOVES his walks/runs there, and so do we.* As soon as we get into the field, he walks ahead of me, turning his head back frequently, just checking to see that I'm there.* * Then he trots and meanders through the high soft meadow grasses (big portions of the field are planted in corn and soybeans, so we stay down toward the bottom).* A combine or huge tractor has left a wide trail back through the field, so that's where we walk.*

He'll wander this way and that through the grasses, and when he's ahead and not watching me, I'll scrunch down and hide in the grass, waiting for him to see that I'm not where I was, and run back and find me...which he does, almost jumping on me.* I'm laughing by then, and I think he is too.* ** Then he starts running....I love watching him just run, full out, chasing nothing....just having a great time.

Today, when we got to the back end of the first field, and turned around to head back, he suddenly took off....TOOK OFF...running full-tilt out and hard like he's never run before.* I was so bewildered, it didn't register right away what I was seeing.....6-point BUCK in velvet!* The first deer Tucker's ever seen!* The buck stepped out of high bushes at the edge of the field (next to a creek that runs along the field), and onto the trail we're on.* Tucker almost reached him, and the deer was gone again.* There was a second deer, and I swear it was a buck too, but might be mistaken.* It jumped back into the high bushes with the first one.* Tucker stayed in that area for a long time, sniffing their scent, and wandering, long after the deer disappeared.*

About 1/2 way back toward the house, he stopped and looked down the bank at the creek.* He looked at me, then the creek, then me...as though he was asking permission.* I told him OK, go on, go on in for a swim...and he did.* I let him take all the time he wanted, and he got cooled off nicely....I'm sure that felt sooo good.

We were almost out of the field when a SNAKE slithered right in front of me....I almost beat Tucker out of the field!* *;D

I love these walks with him, and as his tail wags and wags faster, and I watch him run.....it sounds dumb, but it's such a great sight, I never get tired of it.

I'm sooo glad we live where he can be free.

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

DefaultRe: Don't ya love it when your dog(s) can just run FREE

Wow, that was a really nice post...you have one lucky dog!

I know what you mean. Every a.m. (at 0445 hrs) I take Cooper for a brisk walk through the neighbourhood. There's a huge sports field near our place that dogs are not allowed....but at 0445 hrs, who's going to see?! There's a big hill then it flattens out where the soccer field is. I let him off the leash and he usually darts over to have a pee on the bushes at the top of the hill. Then we both run down the hill and he just butt tucks like mad across the field. Yesterday, it was priceless. He butt tucked but sort of kept his rump/back legs in one spot while the rest of him spun around. If he could have said "Whee-e-e-e-e", I'm sure he would have. At one point, he usually comes over and nuzzles my hand briefly - I think he's saying thanks when he does that! I just love watching him run like crazy in circles like that. I wish we could take him there all the time. I think he likely does too!

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

sounds like the closest thing to labby heaven on earth you've got there ;D What a lucky boy Tucker is

Quote Originally Posted by Slappy McCracken
    I know what you mean.* Every a.m. (at 0445 hrs) I take Cooper for a brisk walk through the neighbourhood.* There's a huge sports field near our place that dogs are not allowed....but at 0445 hrs, who's going to see?!* There's a big hill then it flattens out where the soccer field is.* I let him off the leash and he usually darts over to have a pee on the bushes at the top of the hill.* Then we both run down the hill and he just butt tucks like mad across the field.* Yesterday, it was priceless.* He butt tucked but sort of kept his rump/back legs in one spot while the rest of him spun around.* If he could have said "Whee-e-e-e-e", I'm sure he would have.* At one point, he usually comes over and nuzzles my hand briefly - I think he's saying thanks when he does that!* I just love watching him run like crazy in circles like that.* I wish we could take him there all the time.* I think he likely does too!
    YES....I bet he is saying thanks. I know just what you mean....if Tucker could talk, he'd be saying "Wheeeeee", or "Yaaayyyy". I know he's smiling and laughing when we're in the fields!

mitziandjudysmom is offline Senior Member

What a wonderful walk. It must be fun to see Tucker exploring and enjoying nature.

CoCosMom is offline Senior Member

GREAT story! Sounds like you and Tucker are both lucky to have your little piece of wilderness!

We've had very limited opportunities for CoCo to run free.... usually its in a fenced in baseball diamond where we let her run with her long line dragging... What I am looking forward to is taking her to a loooong deserted stretch of beach in PEI... she'll LOVE it. I don't think I'm ready to let her off the long line though!
    ~Jo & CoCo

That sounds so peaceful. No wonder you enjoy it so much.

I loved that post! That's how I feel when I see Sam run......how lucky you are to have such a place!

Frances

It is the best day when I find somewhere I can let Kimba off leash to just be FREE! He acts the SAME way you described Tucker. Running ahead of me but always turning to see that I am there. And I thought I was the only one who played the "hiding" game. I laugh so hard but he runs full speed looking for me and then jumps on top of me. The sound of his paws tromping through the path reminds me of the one scene in Lord of the Rings when the horses are galloping in the forest trail. They look so happy when they get to be free like that, huh!?!? Sometimes I have to really watch out as Kimba will come up behind with me with the branch of a tree or a log and smack me in the legs as he passes...see picture below, he LOVES big branches! the bigger, the better and he is so proud carrying them through the trail!

[attachment deleted by admin]

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast