Tex always picks up things as he walks

Thread: Tex always picks up things as he walks

DefaultTex always picks up things as he walks

I'm so new to this lab stuff and big dogs in general and was wondering if this was a lab thing or a big breed thing.
    Everytime I take Tex out for a walk, he has to pick up every little rock, twig, piece of trash, pine needles...anything that is in his way. He picks it up, carries it until he sees something else, then he'll drop that and pick up the new object.
    I always have to make sure he isn't picking up something rotten or something else that could be harmful.
    So is this normal for labs? Or is it a puppy thing that he will grow out of?

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

DefaultRe: Tex always picks up things as he walks

My Haley is almost three and she still does this. DRIVES ME CRAZY! Try teaching the command "leave it" and it will make things easier. You do always have to keep an eye on them or they will pick stuff up and eat it but as long as they know what "leave it" means then at least your not tugging on them constantly. Good luck!

Kimba grew out of this with age, although he will still go after certain items but not EVERYTHING like when he was a pup. It is a puppy thing, the world is new and exciting and the only way for them to explore is with their mouths. I would recommend teaching "Leave It" command as soon as you can.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

I think it's a retriever thing. I've never had another breed of dog do this. Nellie is about 6 now and still picks up stuff and carries it home. I find plastic water bottles and baby toys in the kitchen all the time. LOL She came in the house one day with a baby pacifier in her mouth.

RebaHalle is offline Senior Member

Reba will soon be 5. Outside she isn't too bad about picking things up. But in the house, she will take a toy every time she goes upstairs. Then we have to cart them back downstairs. But her very favorite thing to carry is my socks. She takes them with her every where! I literally cannot carry them myself; she will remove them from my hands.

Outside, when I come home from work, she comes to greet me and picks up something - rock, stick, leaves - from the driveway and brings it to me.

I think it is a retriever thing, although Reba is more of a carrier than my other Labs have been.

Judy, mom to Reba, the Lab, and Jalapeno (Halle), the JRT

Emyly is offline Senior Member

Yup, it is a retriever thing. I think there's a member here who lets their lab carry a tennis ball with them on walks so that the dog doesn't pick up something it shouldn't.
    ~Em~

Brigettas Mom is offline Senior Member

Brigetta does the same thing (she'll be 5 months tomorrow). I'm always scanning the ground on our walks- especially at night. She'll pick up anything and everything!!! At first I felt like I was constantly prying her mouth open to see what was in it. I've been using the "leave it" command and "drop it" if she actually has something in her mouth and it has helped. But I agree- you always have to keep an eye on them.

Teresa, mom to Brigetta and Prudence

zoesmom is offline Senior Member

Zoe used to, but stopped.
    She's too busy sniffing now, to hold things in her mouth for very long. :
    Linda and Zoë, the Umlaut
    Honolulu, Hawaii

[

Adama does that all the time! She usually goes for stray water bottles, moss, and the occasional extra large stick. Oh yeah, any kind of hair tie as well (Scrunchies, elastics, headbands, eewwww...)