far flung poop, please help!

Thread: far flung poop, please help!

JacobAlthea&Tatum is offline Senior Member

Defaultfar flung poop, please help!

We have had Tatum for two and a half weeks with zero accidents in the house. This morning I closed Tatum in her crate while I ran a quick errand (probably gone half and hour), and when I came home, there was poop EVERYWHERE. It was normal poop, not soft or strange in any way. She didn't just leave a little pile in the corner of the crate; she rolled in it and flung it outside of the crate, and the entire crate and surrounding floor is covered in it. The blanket she lies on has poop ground into it all over it.

The crate is large enough so that she could have pooped in the corner and not been covered in it. I know that generally to crate train one gets a crate just large enough so that the dog has to hold her poop, but I wasn't trying to crate train her; I was just offering her a "safe" place to stay, so I got her a larger one so she would be more comfortable.

So, I don't understand what happened. She willingly goes into her crate when ever she has a chance. I have to lock her out of it just to keep her from spending all day in it, so I conclude that it is not the crate that upset her.

We are scheduled to leave to go out of town in a few hours, and now I question whether or not the trip is a mistake. I can't have her pooping all over the car.

So, I need some advice. Do any of you have any experience with this sort of thing could tell me whether there is a chance that this is an odd occurrence or whether some new issue is arising? She is on antibiotics, a med with prednisone in it, and an cold medicine (the doggy kind).

When I came home and discovered the mess, I totally pretended that nothing had happened. I greeted her and she wagged her tail and smiled, neither of which she has ever done before. She came out without coercion (another first, but who could blame her - it stunk in there!) and I let them outside. She is going to need a bath, but other than that, there has been no adverse reaction from me.

DH said that she did not poop when he took her out at 6AM, but he said that she never has. She does poop regularly in the afternoon and evening.

Thanks to anyone who has any advice.

I'm Jenn. Keeper of two labs in my home and one forever in my heart.

Throw the ball, damn it!

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

jzgrlduff is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: far flung poop, please help!

Awww, poor baby girl
    When I came home and discovered the mess, I totally pretended that nothing had happened.
    Good for you!!!

"Each is a creature of Earth and is entitled to reside on it with dignity"

Dani is offline Senior Member

Are J&A already at the kennel? Maybe she's upset that her friends are not around?
    Dani, Rider & Rookie
    SHR Watson's Safari Rider, JH, WC, CL1-R, RA, CGC, TDI
    SHR Endeavor Put Me In Coach, RN, WC, CGC

Member Since 6/2003

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by Dani
    Are J&A already at the kennel? Maybe she's upset that her friends are not around?
    No, we are bringing all three with us, so J&A are home right now. We couldn't get a kennel reservation for this weekend at the last minute.

Throw the ball, damn it!

How do you use the crate normally? Is this the first time she's been left in it when you are not there? If so, that could have created stress on her part.

Trickster is offline Senior Member

To be honest I don't really know what to suggest. If she hasn't done it before, do you think it could be a one off? I guess you'll have to wait and see. As you didn't get her that long ago maybe she is not 100% on her routine and forgot to poop before you left? ???

Quote Originally Posted by zoezoe
    How do you use the crate normally? Is this the first time she's been left in it when you are not there? If so, that could have created stress on her part.
    Nope, it is the same crate she has been in every time we have left her home when we go out for the last 2 weeks.* ???

Throw the ball, damn it!

Dani is offline Senior Member

I dunno then. She did poop in her crate once here...but it stayed in the corner.
    Dani, Rider & Rookie
    SHR Watson's Safari Rider, JH, WC, CL1-R, RA, CGC, TDI
    SHR Endeavor Put Me In Coach, RN, WC, CGC

Member Since 6/2003