exercise?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: exercise?

eklind51 is offline Senior Member

Defaultexercise?

how much exercise should a 13 week old get?

thanks in advance

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Trickster is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: exercise?

The rule of thumb is 5 minutes of exercise per month of age. So for a 13 week old that is 15 minutes a day. At this stage all the pup will need is regular romps in the yard and lots of play time with you. When he has had all his vaccinations you can start taking him on short leash walks and exposing him to different sights/sounds/people/dogs etc. You should stick roughly to that amount in order to protect the pups growing joints.

so 30 to 40 minutes is not a good idea? thats what i've been doing for about a week. and she's sleeping through the night and wakes up at 6 to eat. i roll the ball in the yard and she returns it most of the time. and i take her on walks around our yard. i dont let her jump and she does rest 5 or so minutes at a time so its not continuous play. if she only gets 10 to 15 minutes she wakes up during the night. and i find that she tends to bite more when we come in and she's not had enough play time outside.

so if she's only supposed to get 15 minutes. what else can i do to tire her out?

thanks

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

I think that amount is fine as long as it is at her pace and you let her sleep when she wants to. As long as you don't force her to excercise or force leash walk her she should be fine.

Bob Pr. is offline Senior Member

The 5 minutes of exercise for each month of age is an excellent rule of thuimb but it's NOT made of steel.

My Puff (YF, AKC field line, 63 lbs., dob: 8-'01) was hyper -- "wired" -- as a pup and she needed TWO of those periods a day for the two of us to live civilly in the same house.* Otherwise, she was into everything.* With TWO periods a day, she'd sometimes sleep, sometimes play* but the two of us weren't bouncing off the walls -- her with her energy and me with her energy and yelling "NO!" continually.*

[BTW, a fun puppy toy she enjoyed was when I took a clean, empty 1 liter pop bottle, borrowed some kibble (from her next measured meal) and put that in it and then very slightly crimped the mouth with pliers to make it just a little harder for kibble to get out.* As Puff became more skilled in extracting kibble, I crimped the mouth a little more to make it possible but harder for kibble to get out.. (I did need to keep examining the mouth and trim off any plastic in danger of getting swallowed.)* Puff loved batting that around on the floor and played hours of floor hockey with it.]

I commend you very much for "reading" your Lab's behavior.* That's the most important indicator to follow.* There's a huge amount of variation in Labs -- anywhere from 45 lbs to 150+ lbs. adult weight,* obsessive retrievers to casual or not interested, magnetically drawn to swimming to aversive to any water over their toes.* Some Labs are coach potatoes but most need daily vigorous exercise.* And, no surprise, some need more daily exercise than others. One size does not fit all.
    Puff [YF, AKC field line (from competing HT/FT breeder) 62 lbs, dob: 8-'01]

Bess [BF, AKC bench line (from competing show breeder) 55 lbs., 1967-1981] "Poor Bess, the Wonder Dog":
    http://forum.justlabradors.com/showt...?p=748#post748

My pups all got more than the "recommended" amount of exercise. But as Bob Pr. and threelabs pointed out, it was at THEIR pace. THEY decided how fast and how long and when to rest. If they did not get enough exercise, they would have been little monsters that I could not have lived with!! Good for you for "knowing" your pup!

By 8 weeks (this was my own litter), pups were romping easily for 20 minutes at a time, but AT THEIR pace! Now, at 17 months, Kodi runs for 6 miles a day, and still is wanting more!

I think the rule of thumb is for forced exercise (leash walks) but to correct me if I am wrong. If you are doing leash walks I personally would stick to the rule of thumb. If you are doing free exercise (off leash running, swimming, retrieving etc.) you are free to do as much as the dog needs. As the others say, dogs vary considerably in terms of exercise needs. My adult dogs are as demanding as hell and need at least two one hour sessions EVERY day. Some other dogs may require a fraction of that. It depends on the individual.

My suggestion would be to find whatever activity she enjoys the most (running, swimming, retrieving, playing etc.) and use it to your advantage. One or more of those things EVERY day should make for a happy, satisfied pup. If 30-40 minutes of _________ (insert activity) is working for her, keep at it.

thanks for the replies. i'll have to try the bottle game. yeah i dont force leash walking if she starts biting at the leash and not wanting to walk then i let her retrieve. so i'll make sure we dont go over 15 minutes on leash walks.

so i'll make sure we dont go over 15 minutes on leash walks.
    Ideally, but its not going to kill her to walk a little over that amount of time. The problem with leash walking on hard surfaces is that it is a repetitive motion and it puts stress on growing joints. While the joints are forming (first 12-18 months) you want to limit forced exercise as much as possible. Stick to low impact exercise like swimming or playing on a soft surface. They are better for the pup and more effective in channelling her energy.

what can i do on a rainy day to tire her out? its been raining all day. she ran around in the house but it hasnt been enough. i gave her a bone to chew.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast