When do you switch from puppy food

Thread: When do you switch from puppy food

Rushpuppy is offline Senior Member

DefaultWhen do you switch from puppy food

to adult food? Boo is 7 months old now (boy that went quick) and I don't remember when we did the switch for Rush.

Thanks for the help.

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

DefaultRe: When do you switch from puppy food

our vet advised us switch at seven months because koa started to refuse the puppy food. I think most people switch around the time of being a year old but im not sure. Did your breeder mention anything about times to change the food at? Usually they know best for their dogs.

We just made the switch with Kimba at one year.

[attachment deleted by admin]

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

The safest bet would be to check with your breeder. You'll find recommendations ranging from never feeding a puppy food to feeding one until 18 months of age. When I say puppy food, I'm referring to large breed puppy foods as most puppy foods have too much calcium and too many calories for a Lab.

We were wondering the same thing as well. Fergus will be one in just 2 weeks and the bag of food we have now is almost finished. We weren't sure if we should buy another bag of his Large Breed Puppy or make the swich to adult food?? Unfournatly we don't have a breeder that we can ask...

I think you'll be safe to switch based on what Jes' breeder said (although I don't put a lot of credence in that), and based on research that shows the control of calcium is not important by 1 year of age.

We weren't sure if we should buy another bag of his Large Breed Puppy or make the swich to adult food??
    buy a smaller bag of the puppy food that you have now and when you begin to switch to the adult food mix in the adult food gradually until you are on all adult food and not the puppy food..If that makes sense

Bob Pr. is offline Senior Member

Some nutritional scientests say when adult weight is achieved. But the bulk of scientific nutritional studies indicates that LBP food is FAR more important at younger ages than older.

So whether it's at 10 months, 12 months, or 18 months at which the change is made to adult formula is not as important as feeding the pup LBP food up to that time.
    Puff [YF, AKC field line (from competing HT/FT breeder) 62 lbs, dob: 8-'01]

Bess [BF, AKC bench line (from competing show breeder) 55 lbs., 1967-1981] "Poor Bess, the Wonder Dog":
    http://forum.justlabradors.com/showt...?p=748#post748