heartworm question
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: heartworm question

Defaultheartworm question

I just took my jrt to the vet the other day for a check up and they required that he have a blood test for heart worms before they renew his heart worm medication. I've had him on medication for the whole year but the Dr stated that the medication isn't %100 so they require a blood test too. I've never run into this situation before--we've just moved to Richmond so we are new to the practice. Has anyone else heard of this?? Or is this just a way to push up the vet bill?? I thought as long as I gave my boys medication, they were both protected from heartworms?? ???

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

JacobAlthea&Tatum is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: heartworm question

J&A have a blood test for heartworms before their heart worm meds are renewed, too. This was the case in both Connecticut, and now in Ohio.

I'm Jenn. Keeper of two labs in my home and one forever in my heart.

Throw the ball, damn it!

My vet also requires it prior to renewal - I believe it to be a good thing.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

BudGirl8 Guest

I had to do the same thing in Memphis and will have to do the same thing in KC.

I took Loki in for a check up last week to a new vet. We did live in Florida but moved to 30 miles north to Georgia a few months ago. Heart worms are bad in both areas. My vet in Florida required a test every year no questions asked. My vet here in Georgia only requires a heart worm test every other year if the owner says they've given the pill every month. Loki has never missed a pill and his test came back negative last week. Honestly though I'd rather fork out the extra 30 bucks for the heart worm test every year because it is such a problem in this area of the country. If I were a vet I would also require a test every year no matter the location.

I don't think your vet is out to make as much money as possible. I just think he/she sides with caution and rightfully so since Riley's health is their priority.

Dani is offline Senior Member

Pretty common practice. I just completed a year that I had Rider on the year around preventative. I will have him checked again in the spring and then every other year from there on out.
    Dani, Rider & Rookie
    SHR Watson's Safari Rider, JH, WC, CL1-R, RA, CGC, TDI
    SHR Endeavor Put Me In Coach, RN, WC, CGC

Member Since 6/2003

Brigettas Mom is offline Senior Member

We're in South Carolina...and it's required every year for us (I used to live in NY- but I can't remember whether or not it was "required"). My vet does the test as part of the yearly exam. I've also heard that the medication is not 100%.

Teresa, mom to Brigetta and Prudence

They do the test because it isn't 100% effective and some preventatives can actually be harmful to a dog that's positive.* To just continue to give your dog the preventative without knowing its status could be detrimental.

jakeandmaddysmom Guest

I usually just have it done, but my vet said that if they are on for the previous year every other year is ok. That is not something they volunteer, I found out by asking her.

Wow I didn't know all this. I just don't recall ever having the test done unless I stopped the medication. I usually skipped a couple of doses in the middle of a PA winter with a few feet of snow on the ground with the drifts blowing sideways 20 miles an hour. Thank you for all the information.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast