Face Nipping

Thread: Face Nipping

fburke is offline Senior Member

DefaultFace Nipping

Willow seems to have a habit of trying to nip my 2 year olds face. She doesn’t seem to do this with anyone else just my little one. I’m afraid that she may get him at some point I try to be as careful; as I can be but it’s difficult. Sometimes she’s fine and other times she just lounges at him. I don’t think she’s being aggressive or trying to purposely hurt him but I need to figure a way to break this habit soon….

On another note

She does get overly excited when my 10 year old is over she seems to go into hyper drive when he walks through the door. I’m not sure if it is because the first time they met he played rough with her and now she wants too play rough also? She’s little stronger and bigger now then she was at 8 weeks and can be overwhelming to a child.

Any suggestions?

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Kathryn Guest

DefaultRe: Face Nipping

Kaden is 2 also and can get to be a little much at times.* He LOVES the dogs.* When Dakota was about 8 weeks old is when she started the whole face nipping thing.* She was leashed in the house and we corrected her right away.* It only happend a few times.* Her thing now is she like to lick Kadens toes and he doesn't like that.
    Dakota knows there are only 2 people who she can put her mouth around their hands and they are mine and the vet.* She has only bitten once and it was me who got the sharp end of things..
    Now come naptime if Dakota isnt laying on the couch with us or very near us Kaden wont take a nap.* Gotta have the puppy, blanket, and a movie to take a nap. lol

fburke is offline Senior Member

now i wish Willow and my son could lay like that without one of them declaring war on the other ...lol

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Kathryn Guest

We are very lucky that Dakota is SO calm. My friends oldest daughter isnt to nice to animals and Dakota will just sit there and take it. I am so proud of her when it comes to being around kids. I wish you luck because its great being able to see little puppies and little kids together!

i am also having a little trouble with my 6 & 4 year old and the puppy. She will play bite with them, only them. I have tried to keep her from doing it, but I would also like some guidance. Those puppy teeth can hurt!

zoesmom is offline Senior Member

I would also leash Willow to help correct her behavior. Nip it in the bud, because many people have said if you don't want the behavior to continue as an adult, it must be corrected at puppytime. She needs to learn that under no circumstances is she allowed to nip. It will take patience and consistency, but you can do it, so can Willow.

Play dates w/other dogs may help too.

Something our trainer told us....put butter or peanut butter on your hand/finger so they learn to lick.

(btw, I'm no expert...perhaps others more experienced will add to your thread)
    Linda and Zoë, the Umlaut
    Honolulu, Hawaii

[