Eating goose poop, pond scum, and cat food

Thread: Eating goose poop, pond scum, and cat food

DefaultEating goose poop, pond scum, and cat food

Yesterday our pup got into trouble at friend's farm.... I caught him with goose poop in his mouth (I assume he ate some, but don't know), had to haul him out of the goose pond with scum/algae hanging from his mouth, and then had to hide the cats food.

Not surprisingly, today he has loose stools. I'm thinking of waiting one day and putting him on rice for a few meals before heading into the vet. Of course if he gets worse we'll got to the emergency clinic....

What do you think? Is it OK to wait a day?

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Emyly is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: Eating goose poop, pond scum, and cat food

The cat food is dangerous-- the proteins in cat food can can be harmful to dogs. Cats require way more protein and other additives that dogs do not. Put the cat food way out of doggie's reach, either behind a baby gate or out of dogs reach.

Someone here may know about the goose poop and the algae-- but I think giardia might be possible.
    ~Em~

Well goose poop isn't toxic so your not going to have to go to the emergency vet. Oona thinks wild game poop is a treat as well. I give her drontal plus twice a year as a preventive against parasites that are in animal feces. The geese poop isn't as bad as deer poop, they have some really nasty parasites.
    Olie

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

I'd worry more about the algae. If it was hanging from his mouth, it is apt to be filimentous (sp?) algae and not as toxic. It's the blue-green algae that IS/can be deadly..within hours. In either case, I'd expect digestive problems. I'd take pooch to the vet anyways.

Goose poop...heck that's a delicacy to my fur kids!

Thanks everyone! I'm cooking rice and he is staring at me with that "I'm starving" look...

Is there danger of giardia from the goose poop? If so, what preventative is there?

Not necessarily from the goose poop, but more apt from the water and environment that the algae was in.