Mucous Poop
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Mucous Poop

DefaultMucous Poop

Riley has been having loose poop off and on for about a month....it seems like there is a mucous in it, looks kind of like snot or egg whites...I've never seen this before, what do you think? And when he has to go, he HAS TO GO. I was up 4 times last night letting him out to poop. Could it be worms? Does it sound like we need to go to the vet?* :-\*

(I would post a pic...but I'm sure you don't all want to see Riley's mucous poop...)

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

DefaultRe: Mucous Poop

Hi
    I'm not an expert on these things so others may be qualified to give you better advice.* However we did have the same thing with Oliver.* His poo was loose and then all of a sudden it went "snot covered" and sometimes even a drop of blood.* We took him to the vets quick (seeing blood scared us!).* Vet said that Oliver's colon was agiatated (colitis).* It was due to his duet.* Either all the junk that (being a young puppy at the time) he was supplimenting his meals with or it was his actual food.* We had a starve him for 24 hours then through a process of elimination (no joke intended ) work out what was causing the problem.* It turned out to be his food.* We stitched to a different feed for sensitive tummies and he's been fine since.* I would stress that this was our experience only, please see a vet, we're so pleased we did.

forgot to mention, the vet was also able to give Oliver some tablets to help his tummy calm down and give him a vit/mineral boost.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Lilprincee is offline Senior Member

No expert here either but I think a trip to the vet is in order. I just went through this same type thing with Princess. She had the mucus poop and also had blood at the end of the poops. Vet put her on meds, rested her tummy - no food for 24 hours and then gave her a perscription diet. She got better almost as soon as she started the meds. After she went off the meds - it came right back.....2 different times......Vet put her on another round of meds. She is also still on prescription dog food - Purina LA.......once again after a few days she was ok. She has been off the meds for 2 and a half weeks now and is still doing grieat. I hope this is over with. The vet diagnoised it as colitis.
    [IMG]/[/IMG]

penzpurlz is offline Senior Member

I too think a trip to the vet is in order...especially because it's off and on. I wondering if it's an upset tummy or bowels. Every once in a while Duke will get the mucuos poop...but it's relatively solid, just kind of slithery coating. He's fine and it goes away. Usually it's when he's had some new special treat.
    Penny from Sunny Southern California

jzgrlduff is offline Senior Member

Tucker had that when he was a young'un. Turned out that he was allergic to the corn meal in his food. Have you changed his food lately or given any new treats?

"Each is a creature of Earth and is entitled to reside on it with dignity"

TobysTrix is offline Senior Member

Can only agree with everyone else here, sounds like a trip to the vet is in order. I just had an up-close and personal experience with the same thing with Toby, including the sleepless nights with multiple trips outside, a few inside accidents, the runniness and blood. He went to the vet, got put on meds, even had to have subcutaneous fluids because he was starting to dehydrate (he was also vomiting), got x-rays to assure us that it wasn't a blockage. Diagnosis: acute colitis. Cause: still not sure. We're still in the process of getting him back on regular food, he had to fast for 24 hours, and then start slowly on plain boiled rice and chicken. Yesterday, he finally had his first really "normal" looking poop in 6 days, and I pretty much did a happy dance on the spot.

Good luck, and I hope Riley feels better soon.
    Toby and Chamois say: GO STEELERS!
    [[IMG][/IMG]

Quote Originally Posted by jzgrlduff
    Tucker had that when he was a young'un. Turned out that he was allergic to the corn meal in his food. Have you changed his food lately or given any new treats?
    This was the case with our Border Collie. Within about a week and a half of eliminating corn from her diet, the problem got better. We tried reintroducing it a few months later, and again a few months after that, and the problem came back.

Jes does that occassionally when he eats something that's new or doesn't agree with his stomach (i.e. wheat). Some dogs also do this in the early stages of some parasitic infestations...like coccidia, and they can pick that stuff up nearly anywhere. The mucus is a sign of intestinal distress (the iintestines secrete more mucus to sooth the lining), but the causes are numerous. I'd echo what the others said, a visit to the vet with a fecal exam and an evaluation of any new foods introduced may help find the culprit.

Mucos happens often when you switch to a raw diet. Otherwise, I am not sure why it happens.

If interested, do a search of raw food diets and stools (mucos).

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast