Free roam at night
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Free roam at night

DefaultFree roam at night

Bear will be 8 months next week. He is currently crated during the day while Im at work and at night. I want to let him have free reign during the night but worried about everything. How will he tell me he needs to go out what if he gets into something. Normally he is up at 630 every morning and I hear him in the crate but worried he wouldnt try to wake me outside of the crate. Im wondering when did you allow your labby to be out and about at night while sleeping. Stories and advice needed. Thanks.

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Taffys Mom is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: Free roam at night

If I remember correctly it was about 8 mos when Taffy had night-time freedom. But she was closed in our bedroom with us. And we have hardwood floor in there. So any movement...potty dancing, illicit chewing...we heard right away. Slept with one ear open so to speak.

Is the crate in your bedroom? If not, can you put it there? If so, I'd leave him in the crate in the bedroom a few nights, before granting freedom. Then I'd just leave the crate door open. He probably likes sleeping in there so will go in anyway. Eventually, he'll notice the DOOR IS OPEN(!) and come and go as he wants.

If the crate is not in your bedroom and won't be put there...then I'd say it is a bit riskier. In this case, and since he is crated while you are at work too, I wouldn't recommend 6-8 hours of nighttime freedom off the bat. I'd start during the day in small increments: 15 minutes...30 minutes...one hour...two hours...four hours.

And how will he let you know he needs to go out? If he has access to your bedroom - I'd say a cold wet nose nudged against any exposed body parts seems to be the method of choice!

Good Luck! Behave Bear!

AbbyandMolly is offline Senior Member

We gave Abby free roam at night around 9 months ( I think) we kept her where we knew we could still hear her (ie: upstairs near the bedrooms or in the living room/dining room area) since we live in a town house it wasn't too hard. She just came looking for me to let her out every morning lucky for her I'm a heavy sleeper but am tuned to wake up with kisses and "ruffs"

Molly got free roam of our trailer last night and I was awoken by a 53 pound puppy sitting on my chest licking me to death (lol)
    *Stacey*
    ~Abby, Molly, and Penny (the honorary lab)

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

With mine, it was just an easy thing. He was crated at night and during the day when we were at work. He went right into his crate from day one. One night, when he was 6-7 mos., he was in the bedroom with us. I told him to kennel up, but he didn't move to go to his crate (in the living room). I told hub, let's just let him stay in here tonight. So we just closed the bedroom door and he slept on the floor. That was the end of the crate at night. Over the next few weeks, I left him out of the crate during the day for short periods; he did great, nothing bothered, and by about 8-9 mos., we did away with the crate completely.

What he did start doing when in the bedroom with us was to wake me in the morning. He puts his head on the mattress next to my face, and starts a low whimper, so I'll get up. Lucky me :

He'd never bothered anything in the house, so in reality, we probably could've given him freedom from the crate a lot sooner.

Thanks Denise and Stacey. I really want him to be able to sleep where ever he wants. I dont think we could put that crate in my room. I was thinking about just closing my door so he couldnt get out, but Im so worried. He really is a good dog. He doesnt chew anything and he listens great....for his age that is. I guess we never stop worrying huh?

Taffys Mom is offline Senior Member

If you do decide to let him sleep in your bedroom with you, just be sure to close or latch closet doors, put the trash pail up, shoes and laundry away, and keep the remotes, cell phones, books, tissues, etc. (EVERYTHING!) out of reach.

Quote Originally Posted by Taffys Mom
    If you do decide to let him sleep in your bedroom with you, just be sure to close or latch closet doors, put the trash pail up, shoes and laundry away, and keep the remotes, cell phones, books, tissues, etc. (EVERYTHING!) out of reach.
    Oh yes. Even though I think hes a good dog, I see those horns coming out and him just waiting for me to make a mistake. But most of the time I just look at him and fall in love all over again.

AbbyandMolly is offline Senior Member

I find it very hard to believe that bear has horns

You want horns? I'll trade ya Bear for Molly lol
    *Stacey*
    ~Abby, Molly, and Penny (the honorary lab)

Quote Originally Posted by AbbyandMolly
    I find it very hard to believe that bear has horns

You want horns? I'll trade ya Bear for Molly lol
    Oh please Stacey. Send Molly right down to me. Better yet, Ill be up your way in August, Ill just stop and pick her up ;D . But seriously about the horns, I just know they are there just waiting for me.

Just to add on, we LOVE having Forrest sleep in our room at night.* We got lazy somewhere around 12 weeks (crazy, right?) and just left the crate open in our room and went to sleep.* She has free reign from our bathroom (she has this strange affinity for bath mats) to our bedroom and she has behaved since night one.* She'll go to either side of the bed and lay her head on it until we wake up to take her out.* If she's antsy she'll whimper a bit and sit in front of the door.* But other than that, she only sleeps in her crate during the day.* At night she has the freedom of whatever carpet space her heart desires.* *

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast