adoption not going well
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: adoption not going well

Scout and friends Guest

Defaultadoption not going well

This isn't about my lab Scout, it's about a family member's dog I took in, and it's not going well.* I'd appreciate talking to anyone who can give me some feedback.* I'm struggling with unhappy dogs who aren't happy living with each other, and feeling like I failed in rehoming this dog to my house.* She's a senior - I'm very concerned about her future as there are behavior problems.* Thanks.

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

theoconbrio is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: adoption not going well

Can you tell us more about what the problem is?

Scout and friends Guest

Three dogs in total, this little mixed breed - lhasa/poodle cross, 11 years, female, very dominant, not much socialization beyond the owner, 2 back surgeries but good health for 11 years - came to live with me in Nov/05.* Elderly relative no longer able to look after this dog.* I volunteered to take her in.*

Scout is 2, and our other dog is a golden, also 2 years - a male.* Scout and Chase (the golden) are buddies - everything in life is better when they do it with each other.

This little dog has bitten a few times - other dogs and people.* She will be aggressive if you try to take anything from her, if you touch her tail, or try to wipe her face.* If you try to physically get her to do something when she's refused, she will snap at you.* She is happiest if it's just her and I alone, tolerates the other members of my family.* Has grown increasingly aggressive towards the other dogs.* She nipped Scout in the neck at Xmas time - it abscessed.* A lump formed in her neck the size of an orange.* She had to be hospitalized overnight - was running a fever, not eatting and getting dehydrated.* IV antibiotics and fluids were given.

I'm really torn about this.* I don't know if rehoming is safe because she has bitten, but she seems increasingly unhappy and aggressive.* That makes it hard for the other 2 dogs, and me and my family.
    Training is so hard with this dog.* She isn't all bad, but she has an iron will.* She hates the commotion of the other 2 dogs - that's when the nipping starts.* She goes for Scout's throat, and Chase's tail.

This elderly relative - it's my mother.* She doesn't know it's not gone well. I can't bear to tell her as so much in her life has changed.* Very poor health, she had to move into assisted living.*

I don't know what to do, how I feel about saying "enough, this isn't the right place for you".* I know no one else can make that decision but me.* It's hard though, no one else was able to take Mum's dog.* I don't know if rehoming is an good option in a case like this, and I don't know if we can happily coexist together, this little dog and us.

I'd appreciate the advice and thoughts of anyone, especially those with experience in rehoming.* We've had a bad weekend here.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

JacobAlthea&Tatum is offline Senior Member

First, I'm so sorry that you and your family have had to go through this.

Has a vet examined the dog? Is there any chance that there is an illness that is causing the poor temperment?

Based on what I've read about rehoming a dog, if the dog has become agressive, it may be time to put her down. You can't really rehome an agressive dog.

In terms of dealing with your mom, can you tell her that the dog suddenly became ill and passed away?

I'm sorry.
    I'm Jenn. Keeper of two labs in my home and one forever in my heart.

Throw the ball, damn it!

mitziandjudysmom is offline Senior Member

I'm so sorry it's not working. Sounds like this dog needs to be an only dog, and I doubt that it would be easy to find someone to take her. Do you have any relatives who would take her? Is there a way you can keep her separated from Scout and Chase? Are there assisted living places which take pets so she can stay with your mother?

deneen is offline Senior Member

I don't know if rehoming is safe because she has bitten, but she seems increasingly unhappy and aggressive. That makes it hard for the other 2 dogs, and me and my family.
    As hard as it has to be rehoming wouldn't be the responsible thing to do. Unless of corse it's another family member who is willing to take the risk. Dogs that bite are a liability.

Such a sad story I'm sorry it isn't working out for all of you. I agree with the vet check.

3TailsWaggin is offline Senior Member

The only solution I see is too keep this dog totally separated from your other two. I don't know your living conditions, but if you can keep this dog in one section of the house? I would try working/training her without the other dogs around.

AngusFangus is offline Senior Member

I think it's worth trying Linda's solution, if you can work it out.

I'm so sorry. I hope you can find a good way to work this out. You are really, really kind and trying so hard to do the right thing. I will pray that an answer will come to you.

Connie and "The Boys":
    Angus, Yellow Lab, CGC, RE, CD
    Simon, d.b.a. Flat Coated Retriever, CGC, RE, CD

Gone ahead, but forever in my heart:
    Crash, Pit Bull x Rottweiler x Golden Retriever

Scout and friends Guest

Thanks everyone for the suggestions and thoughts.* I read them and had to have a good cry.* It wasn't that you said anything wrong, it's that you said things others have been saying to me and I'm struggling with what to do.*

I'm meeting with my vet on Tuesday.* Scout is due for annual shots.* I'll ask him for advice about this girl as well.* He hasn't met her yet because she had her shots before she moved here with me, but I'll explain whats going on and get his advice.

There is no one else in my family to take her.* Linda, she sticks to me like glue so separating her from the rest would be hard.* I thought about that after reading your reply - trying to visualize how I could make that work.* Scout would be very sad - I'm her fearless leader in life, she's my shadow.* And this little dog would bark like there is no tomorrow.* She doesn't take no for an answer.* Me going to do something with the other 2 or where they are would not be tolerated.

It's the biting.* She's got to be watched closely for accidents, doesn't know how to play.* Scout and Chases enthusiasm for anything annoys her.* I could go on with more, but it always comes back to the biting.

My mum said I was the one, her dog would live out her life with me, that made her feel OK letting the dog go.* I'm just trying to find some peace within myself to make a decision about how to handle the next step. And what the next step is.*

Thanks for letting me vent.

kaytris is offline Senior Member

What about a basket muzzle, until you get things sorted out?

Have you talked to a trainer or behaviourist?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast