We were so close to bringing home a puppy mill puppy...
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: We were so close to bringing home a puppy mill puppy...

DefaultWe were so close to bringing home a puppy mill puppy...

Even after ALL of the advice you guys have given me - we were so close to bringing one home.* Of course I've been talking to a bunch of my lab-owning friends and one in particular kept mentioning this one breeder that was close to us but she couldn't remember the name.* But she kept talking about how she would meet a bunch of people with nice-looking labs and they all got them from her.* She finally found it yesterday morning and I called this breeder and my friend and her husband (who is a Lab "expert" as well) and their kids came with us.* My husband's friend did a lot of legwork when they got their lab and he visited a lot of breeders and he commented this this one by far was the best.* He also helped me in choosing the puppy and checking out her temperament and looks so we of course fell in love.*

I put in a deposit for $100 to hold her until Monday.* As I writing the check, she was "bragging" about the pup's sire who belonged to the kennel next door (another breeder apparently) - Brueggers Kennels.*

So when I got home later yesterday, I did a search for Brueggers - oh my gosh - OBVIOUS PUPPY MILL!* The advertise they have pups "All year round" and bunch of online classified ads popped up.* Their website has a pic of him surrounded by like 20+ puppies.

So even though HER kennel didn't appear to be a puppy mill, she's partned WITH a puppy mill and that scared me.* AND THEN, I talked to a neighbor who's lab died 4 years ago at the age of 6 because of CANCER - she said when her dog died a bunch of others died of cancer too around the same time.* AND THEN, I heard that a bunch of his PUPPIES died recently due to PARVO!

YIKES YIKES YIKES*

Although she seemed to represent herself well and her kennel looked nice and clean, I think she's just full of crap.* In my conversations with her she kept dropping names (I sold Arnold Schwarzenneger 2 of his dogs and Ashton Kucher came out for his dog) and she has a signed autograph pic of Kevin Costner with his dog!* Ugh.*

So I'm back to the drawing board...thank you so much for all of your help with this.* It's because of you that I called her this morning and told her we were not moving forward.* She did say she would tear up my check but I should probably put a stop payment on it just in case.

I haven't told my kids yet...I know my daughter will be heartbroken...* :-[* But better she be heartbroken now for just a little while as we find the right breeder than be devasted with a sick / dying dog in a few years.

Here's the little cutie we were going to bring home.* My daughter is holding her.* (Admittedly, I'm still very sad as I write this...)*

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

myfavoritedog is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: We were so close to bringing home a puppy mill puppy...

Well it sounds as though you did your research thoroughly. I'm sorry you had to walk away from that little fellow. But you did the right thing. The only way byb will cease to exist is if people stop buying from them. Sadly, some do enough to fly under the radar where legalitoes are concerned, but that doesn't make them good breeders. Good luck in your search.

Ok, I'm curious...you've been pointed towards the clubs in your area whose members are reputable breeders who do something with their dogs...why all the posts about online puppymills and bybs your visiting?? Check out the breeders that were recommended

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Dakkerdog is offline Senior Member

One thing I've found out is that some of my so called "lab expert" friends often really didn't do the research that I've learned to do from learning from this site. I'm so glad you went with your instinct and will continue looking. I sent you a PM with the person I would highly recommend. This dog will be part of your family hopefully for a very long time so taking some time to find the right one will really be worth the wait. Good Luck, you did good.
    Sharon, loved by Moose & Sky

ThatsMyGirl Guest

Kaydles - I have been reading all of your posts.* May I make a suggestion?* Slow way down.* I know that it's hard when you are excited about getting a puppy.* But make the investment in information now to avoid realizing you made a huge mistake later.* Research the breed.* Research what it takes for a breeder to be considered responsible.* Ask a zillion questions of the breeders, and expect at least that many in return.* Don't take what they say at face value -- verify their information.*

Once we decided on a breed, it was 10 months until we got a puppy.* I spent at least 2 months contacting and interviewing breeders.* And then once I selected a breeder, I waited nearly 8 months to get a puppy because the breeder was still months away from even breeding her bitch.

I certainly don't think that all puppy purchases should take that long.* But in my case, I waited for what I wanted.* A dog should never be an impulse purchase.

Good luck!

Thanks everyone..I'm very busy e-mailing all of the references and recommendations right now.

Jacks and Labs - since I'm still learning as much as I can about this as the dogs I've ever owned were not purebred - either from the shelter or from a friend who's dog had a litter, all of this info about pedrigree, bloodlines, show dog, etc. is still so very new to me. As a first time buyer of a pure-bred I'm having such a hard time distinguishing byb's vs. reputable vs. puppymills who disguise themslves as reputable breeders. I'm definitely learning more each day. Which is why this board has been invaluable to me.

My research in the past few days have been from this board, from visiting breeder sites, from reading books, and of course from talking to lab-owning friends. So as well as looking at your recommendations, I've looked at my friends' recommendations. The kennel I visited yesterday was based on a friend's recommendation and since it was close to me, we visited it. Everything looked great, she had all the certifications, I had my "lab expert" accompany me but it wasn't until I did more digging about who her business associates are that I started to get the red flags.

Anyway, hopefully my next post will be a happy post about a breeder that is reputable.

Thanks again for everyone's help.

JacobAlthea&Tatum is offline Senior Member

Kaydles~

I know how exciting it is to FINALLY make the decision to get a puppy, just to discover that then you have to WAIT for her!* Good job on walking away from this situation.* I understand completely how much you wanted to bring a dog home soon, and this breeder seemed like a great sollution.* I'm sure that you are going to endure much whining and conjoling (sp?) from your daughter!* I guess my best advice is to think about it like having a (human) baby.* For many people at least, it is a very difficult desision to start a family, and then you have to wait and wait and wait for the baby to finally come.* Do what you probabably did to pass the time when you were waiting for your daughter: read everything and buy really cute accessories (people on here will give you some great links to cool dog stuff).* Post on the internet looking for other lab-lovers (i.e. US!).* Obsessivly follow around anyone walking a dog and dream about how yours will be cuter and better behaved.* Pick out names, and doodle them when you are bored or on the phone.* Go to dog shows and get to know the breed and what is considered desireable in breeding.* Enjoy the anticipation!

I'm Jenn. Keeper of two labs in my home and one forever in my heart.

Throw the ball, damn it!

That's My Girl -

You're so right. I do need to slow down. I know the biggest reason I'm so gung ho right now is because I don't want to have to wait that long for a puppy - hence the temptation to go to these bad breeders...but I do need to take it slow and I know it will pay off as it did for you.

Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by ThatsMyGirl
    Kaydles - I have been reading all of your posts.* May I make a suggestion?* Slow way down.* I know that it's hard when you are excited about getting a puppy.* But make the investment in information now to avoid realizing you made a huge mistake later.* Research the breed.* Research what it takes to for a breeder to be considered responsible.* Ask a zillion questions of the breeders, and expect at least that many in return.* Don't take what they say at face value -- verify their information.*

Once we decided on a breed, it was 10 months until we got a puppy.* I spent at least 2 months contacting and interviewing breeders.* And then once I selected a breeder, I waited nearly 8 months to get a puppy because the breeder was still months away from even breeding her bitch.

I certainly don't think that all puppy purchases should take that long.* But in my case, I waited for what I wanted.* A dog should never be an impulse purchase.

Good luck!
    I have to agree here too. I had to wait a long time before I got my pups. I am sure in your research you are finding out that most reputable breeders you will have to wait for a pup.

Good luck in your search.

AngusFangus is offline Senior Member

I third (or fourth?) the motion to slow down

I know it's hard. But it will pay off if you do your homework. And that takes soooo much time. I learned so much the first year I was here. I really wish I'd had the knowledge I do now before I took the leap.

I'm not saying you have to wait a year. Just give it some more time to do the research, which can be a lot of fun in and of itself! ;D

Connie and "The Boys":
    Angus, Yellow Lab, CGC, RE, CD
    Simon, d.b.a. Flat Coated Retriever, CGC, RE, CD

Gone ahead, but forever in my heart:
    Crash, Pit Bull x Rottweiler x Golden Retriever

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast