Just Labradors banner

Ernies poop eating is driving me nuts.

793 views 6 replies 7 participants last post by  The H Mom 
#1 ·
Any suggestions will be gratefully accepted. When i first came in here I died laughing when laura told someone to yell at the poop. Now here am I telling a poop it is bad.

I go out and clean up regularly. Read not to make a thing of it as it could be habit forming.
A few nights ago the bandy legged, bunny hopping boy runs through the house and I just knew he had something in his mouth.
Drop Ernie. Out comes three poops. then another. ewwwww yuck They are all from different squats, so he collects them. eeewww yucky. I have visitors in the other room so I am whispering, bad poop. Bad bad poop. then before my eyes the boy gobbles them up.

He must have bough one in and dropped it on my dressing gown on the end of the bed. What do I find in my sleeeve the next morning. Yep... a poop.

I have given him pineapple, shouted at the poop, and feed him more in case he is hungry. I also read they don't eat it if they are feed dry food. Erns is allergic to dry food.

#3 ·
Ask your vet if there are 'probiotics' available in NZ.

For instance, here in the US there is a product called "Prozyme" that is an "enzyme food supplement".

I started giving Auggie the recommended 1/4 teaspoon per 1 cup of kibble over a month ago and her calf manure consumption dropped by at least 90%. Now we can spend an evening without Auggie gagging us with her farts. :p

Years ago I had a Wirehaired Pointing Griffon that would play with frozen dog poop in the winter and someone told me to try supplementing with canned spinach, about 1 tablespoon with each meal. As I recall, that did work for the Griffon; she quit playing with poop.

Hope one of these might help.

#4 ·
That "dry food" thing - not true. Dexter eats dry food and he's an avid poop snacker. I've tried a million different things (meat tenderizer, Deter tablets, pineapple, fig newtons, etc.) and I haven't found anything that works. I try to make sure the yard is clean, but he manages to find any little piece that gets missed.

Good luck, and if you happen to stumble upon something, be sure to let us know!!

#6 ·
Yep the dry food thing is a myth. I have also tried everything, and still my yellow girl prefers her own and one of my other 3. And who said they are selective ;D
I clean up the yard morning and night, and I also try to catch it as it is happening, however, labs are fast,a nd she beats me to it every time :-[

#7 ·
Oh, dear, I empathize! Cassie is a poop eater, and Hoshi was too. I too have tried everything, and the ONLY thing I've found that works is to be vigilant, vigilant, vigilant! I immediately pick up her poop, and I watch her like a hawk when we're out on the leash or at the dog park. It's the only way I've been able to ensure she doesn't eat it. Wish I had something less labor-intensive, so if you find anything, please share the info! Good luck!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.