"Labradoodles" and "Goldendoodles" - thoughts anyone?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: "Labradoodles" and "Goldendoodles" - thoughts anyone?

Default"Labradoodles" and "Goldendoodles" - thoughts anyone?

I hope it's not sacrilege to post about these breeds on a "Just Labradors" board, but in talking to one lab owner today from doing my research (she's like me - young kids at home), while she loves her black lab, if she had to do it over again, she would probably get a labradoodle or a goldendoodle. So of course, I spent a lot of time researching those breeds! Wow are they EXPENSIVE!

What my friend doesn't like about her lab is that she's really big and sheds too much for her taste - but she's a bit of neat freak and grew up with dogs always being outside.

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Mia&Buddy is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: "Labradoodles" and "Goldendoodles" - thoughts anyone?

The whole doodle thing is a bit of a loaded subject.*

Do some more research about them before you get too excited. There are simply no guarantees that they won't shed. They are actually just really expensive mutts. I think that people like the "concept", a hypoallergenic, non-shedding lab, but since, at their roots, they are really just a mix between a standard poodle and a labrador, you are rolling the genetic dice with every litter. If shedding and/or allergies are an issue, I would start with a dog that would be suited in a household with those requirements (like a poodle or a bichon). If you are really interested in the lab temperament, than I would start with a lab. By the way, I believe that any 'doodles are just as big as a lab. If a lab is too big, you may want to consider something on the smaller side, like perhaps a beagle?

There are quite a few knowlegeable breeders on the board (I am NOT one of them, lol) so they can handle the genetics issues far better than I can. Keep asking your questions (it's refreshing to have someone asking questions before they buy/adopt their puppy!) and I am sure that you will be able to decide on what is right for your family. Good luck to you!

CaliforniaLabLover is offline Senior Member

I've met a number of labradoodles/goldendoodles in several different areas, and have yet to meet one that doesn't shed like crazy. They have all shed.

Most of them that I've met around here in particular (who knows, they could be all from the same "breeders"?) have been extremely high-strung, and most of them have had major issues (dysplasia) with their hips and/or elbows.

The "Doodles" aren't actual breeds, but rather mixed breed dogs, similar to those you can find in the shelters. Why spend so much money for a mutt when you could rescue one instead? In fact, Dani has two of them at Central Michigan Lab Rescue Network (http://www.cmlrn.com/breederrescue.htm) right now if you are truly interested.

If really interested in a larger dog that doesn't shed, stick with a standard poodle.

~Julie, Rogue, Monty, and Eddy~

"The reason a dog has so many friends is that he wags his tail instead of his tongue." -Anon

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

labby is offline Senior Member

Obviously your friend is not very knowledgeable about these mixes. THEY STILL SHED!!

Laura

CBS Sunday Morning (my favorite tv show) just did a long segment on these hybrid 'designer' breeds last week. The man featured has a large kennel in Wisconsin. He's been doing this for about 35 yrs. His latest is the puggle(pug/beagle). And yes, these mixed dogs are selling for a lot of money!

I can't comment on labradoodles, but years ago, we got a cockapoo. Our youngest daughter wanted a dog; we looked at a few different ones, and got our cockapoo. We just found her through an ad in the paper. We paid maybe $25 for her.

Pepper was a great little dog. She had a good temperament, aside from being a bit high-strung and yappy at times. She didn't shed, exactly; not regular shedding. Tiny clumps of hair would shed occasionally, so you could just pick it up and throw it away.

She did have a couple of problems throughout her life. Every summer, she'd develop hot spots on her stomach and have to be treated for it. And her stomach was somewhat sensitive. Hub's uncle was a vet and always took care of our dogs. His opinion was that it's not a good thing when people start mixing these breeds..they end up having problems a lot of times.

As others have said they are just an expensive mutt. They are often marketed as the "Best of both Breeds", but often you get the worst of both breeds. Also, What kind of helath clearences do you think they come with, i.e. hips, eyes,elbows,cnm,etc. - None. Stay as far away from the people (puppymills) as possible!!
    Mike

Chester B. Dickens is offline Senior Member

You know our "Breeds I Woudn't Own" thread from a week or so back? Add any of these designer genetic mixes to my list.

This can be a touchy subject around here. For the most part your paying A LOT for a dog you could get from a shelter or rescue for much less. They are mixes with no guarentee they won't shed or won't be as big or whatever they are advertising them for. Personally I'd stick with a well breed purebreed or a rescue if you don't mind it not being pure. Good luck with your search though and good for you doing research before taking the big leap. Keep asking questions

I agree...your "friend" needs to do a little more research before sharing doodle myths with people. I've met a number of doodles and they were all bigger (taller) than my labs. Poodles are a big breed. Most that I've met shed quite a bit. The one than didn't, smelled horrible (despite recent baths) beacause it wasn't able to drop it's coat (shed) but had the oily (correct) coat of a lab...yuck.

I'm all for people loving and getting mutts, but call them mutts...not some fancy "new breed". And don't be stupid enough to pay more than an actual purebred for them!

I couldn't support this type of breeding, they are breeding mutts for money. Money is the worst reason to breed. I can only imagine what a doodle would be like if it got the worst traits of both breeds....holy moly.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast