Aqua Therapy!!

Thread: Aqua Therapy!!

DefaultAqua Therapy!!

I'm just so excited, I had to come on and post!! Fergus has an ACL injury and has been awaiting surgery for the last 5 months (it happened when he was only 6 months old, and since he was still growing, we had to hold off on the surgery :'(). Anyways his surgery is scheduled for July 4th, so not too much longer for the poor guy (and us). I just recently found an indoor pool for dogs that we can take him to as part of his recovery!! It's called K9H2O (I thought that was cute!!) and they're great!! We took him there last night for a pre-surgery swim and some exercise. Everyone there was so great and they all fell in love with him...but then how could you not! He's in the pool with a therapist and he swims and they do special stretches...it's so great. They even had an underwater camera so we could watch his leg and see how it was moving. Each session is 30 minutes and worth every penny!! We are going to continue taking him twice a week until surgery day, and then start up again when we get the okay. I'm just so bummed that we didn't find this place 5 months ago when we had a 6 month old puppy that all of a sudden wasn't suppose to act like a puppy anymore. Oh well, better late then never I guess! At least we found it and have it to help with the long road of recovery that we're facing. I was just so excited & happy to see him having so much fun!!

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

DefaultRe: Aqua Therapy!!

I've seen people mention ACL injuries, but can you explain what it is?

I'm so glad you found this therapy for him! And, yes, how could you not fall in love with him? Sorry if I'm biased, but he's one of my favorite dogs....I just love his color, and his wonderful face.

Keep us posted on how he does after the surgery, k?

Thanks so much for your nice comments about Fergus

To answer your question about ACL injuries....I'm not great with medical stuff & explaining things, but what I can tell you is that the proper name for it is the Cruciate Ligament which is part of the knee joint. It's suppose to keep the knee joint stable and stop the femur & tibia bone from sliding back & fourth. Fergus tore his so he doesn't have that protection anymore. We've only been able to exersice him on leash since the injury...any off leash exercise results in more damage to the knee. Swimming is suppose to be great the only problem with going to the lake or something is he wants to run around when he gets back to shore...a big NO NO!! We are very lucky to live in a beautiful place with lots of lakes and places for swimming, we just have to be very careful that he doesn't have the space to run around afterwards. This is why we are so glad to of found this pool!

I hope that helps you out a bit!! I'm terrible at all the terminology and stuff...I'm sure someone here will correct me if my explanation is incorrect !

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

talleyJudy is offline Senior Member

Where are you located (city and state)?

And where is the dog pool located (city and state)?
    "If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went." author Will Rogers

Auggie 12/29/95 ~ 01/15/09

We are actually up in Canada...British Columbia to be exact.