Start of aggression?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Start of aggression?

DefaultStart of aggression?

My girl Allie will be 2 in August. We got her at 8 weeks. We also have Maddy who is a Springer Spaniel and was 2 in march. They have always gotten along very well together, never any problems. A few nights ago, they were both sitting on the floor in front of the couch, my husband and I were on the couch. Maddy went to jump up and Allie snarled at her...she has never snarled before. This is the first time I have ever heard her do that. We corrected her verbally, it totally caught us off guard and she went and layed down away from us. She seemed to know she did something wrong. I am worried this could be a precursor to aggressive beahavior, any thoughts?

I have posted before about the difficult time I have walking Allie when she sees another dog, she will lunge and cry but she has never snarled in that situation either.

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

DefaultRe: Start of aggression?

I'll give my standard answer, have her thyroid tested. Change in behavior can be symptom of hypothyroidism and the onset is usally at 2 years of age.

Would you wait to see if the behaviour repeats before jumping to tests...I don't want to over react. Any idea how much a thryoid test costs?

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

I would be very careful using the word aggressive. Aggressive = PTS.
    I agree with Kiddsmom. Also she may be asserting her alpha position with your other dog.

Trickster is offline Senior Member

It sounds like a ranking issue (ie; battle for 'top dog' status). Your Lab, being the youngest of the two, is an adult now so you can expect her to challenge your older Springer. Quite normal in multi-dog households. My view on this is as long as both dogs respect YOU as boss, they can sort out their own 'rank' issues providing there is no blood or serious fighting.

I would keep both dogs off the couch for the time being.

mitziandjudysmom is offline Senior Member

Any idea how much a thryoid test costs?
    Mitzi's thyroid - T4 test was $22.
    I come down on mine at the first sign of any fighting. If one is dominant over the other, thet may try to dominate you.

Mystrie is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by mitziandjudysmom
    I come down on mine at the first sign of any fighting.* If one is dominant over the other, thet may try to dominate you.
    I have to disagree here. Whenever there is a household with 2 or more dogs, there is a ranking. One is alpha. You may not notice it because you don't know the signs. Who comes in and out of the door first? Who wants the first treat when you are handing them out?

This ranking amongst themselves should have absolutely no impact on your status as alpha.

Ranking....totally agree. Our Murphy is the undisputed pack leader. There are no aggession issues, it is just a known fact. I.E., Indie didn't play with Callie until Murphy did, therefore, she was not totally accepted until Murphy accepted her...however, this went even a step further, neither dog played with her until my husband laid down on the grass and played with all three of them together....he is the alpha male and at this point I am the alpha female...I fully expect Callie to challenge me at some point and I am more than ready for it.

Murphy always get his snack first, his meal first....if the human feeding them goes out of order, Indie and Callie wait to begin until Murphy's dish is down.

Watch carefully and you should be able to deterine if your lab is challenging for the alpha role....and watch the Dog Whisperer!

I think that Allie is the alpha and I think she established that shortly after we got her. We had Maddy first (Springer). These are the signs that make me think she is alpha, when I throw a toy for both of them, they will both run for it but Allie will always get it, even if Maddy is there first, Maddy will justl run by and it and let Allie get it. Allie walks in the door first, and will push Maddy out of the way, she wants attention first. Allie wants treats first too.

The one thing that Maddy does do is she will stand over Allie's head when Allie is laying down, we thought this was a way of her trying to show dominance over Allie. Allie will let her do it until she wants to stand up and will then just get up when she wants.

Does it sound like an Alpha struggle? Ranking?

labby is offline Senior Member

Any thyroid test that is not a COMPLETE thyroid panel is worthless. They test all parts of the thyroid, not just the T4 or T3. The complete thyroid panel from MSU (which is where the test should be sent) is about $85 and takes approx. 2 weeks for results.

Laura

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast