At what age did you start leaving your dog home all day?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: At what age did you start leaving your dog home all day?

Ender's Mom is offline Senior Member

DefaultAt what age did you start leaving your dog home all day?

For those who work or are otherwise out of the house for 7 hrs at a time... when were you able to crate your dog for a full 7 hrs at a time? I realize every pup is different and as long as I am able, I will be coming home at lunch for Ender... but I'm wondering at what age can I... if the need arises... crate him fro 7 hrs.

He's nearly 5 months old now and the other week he "made it" for 6 hrs one day. (I didn't intend to test him for that long but it just happened) I'm hoping soon we can start doing this because it will give me more time in the late afternoon/early evening to play/exercise him if I don't have to stay at work late to accomodate my semi-long lunch hour.

I should note, we haven't had an accident in the house in almost 2 months. ;D YAY ENDER! But I don't want to take chances and create a situation where he will "fail" in that area.

Thanks in advance for your replies! ;D
    ~Lindsay

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

DefaultRe: At what age did you start leaving your dog home all day?

Luckily, I never had to. I had roommates in college, so he was never crated for more than a few hours at a time. Now, he's old enough that when I am gone he can stay out on his own. My parents crated their Sheltie while they were at work after about 4 months. They make it home for lunch normally, and after about a year she was granted full roam of the house.

JacobAlthea&Tatum is offline Senior Member

We stoped kenneling the dogs very early in their lives and gated them in a single room in the house (kitchen), so they could be less cooped up.
    I'm Jenn. Keeper of two labs in my home and one forever in my heart.

Throw the ball, damn it!

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

liveelayne is offline Senior Member

I think after 6 months old or so I left Thor in his crate by himself. I tried gating certain areas but would come home to the paint torn off the walls so he stayed in his crate until he was about a year old. He was given full roam of the house at that point.

biscuit is offline Senior Member

Hmmm. Let me remember.... I think that when Biscuit was about 6 months old, he stayed in his crate for 7 hours- max- VERY periodically Usually, it was more like 5 hours at a time. At 2 years old, I can now leave him out in the house, uncrated, for about 9 hours a couple of days a week, and he just sleeps. zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz......
    <br />Kristin &amp; Biscuit

Well, once I cut the lunch feeding at about 10 weeks they are crated for 7-8 hours. Never had a potty training mishap.

I should say Ender is ready.

Mocha was left all the time for 9 hours after 6 months (bad mom I know but she's fine) Before that there would be days when she was left all day but most days my bf would go let her out in the afternoon.

rayofsun is offline Senior Member

Raven was in her crate for 7 1/2 to 8 hours a day at around 5 months old. She sleeps all day and when I leave for work, she is ready to go in there. Now at 2 she still loves her crate but could be left out of the crate if we wouldn't have a psycho cat who would scratch her!!!!

Ender's Mom is offline Senior Member

Thanks everyone who responded so far. My choices right now with scheduling are this...

Option #1
    Crate 8-12
    Lunch potty break
    Crate 12:30-5

Option #2
    Crate 8-3:30/4:00
    Not to mention a more energetic mom with more time on her hands to take for a long walk/playdate/retrieve session in the evening instead of a more rushed situation.

I think I'm going to try #2 a day this week and maybe a couple of days next week. I'm still feeling sooo guilty that in a month he'll have to stop going to doggy day care because of the whole neutering thing. (Right now he goes once per week)
    ~Lindsay

CoCosMom is offline Senior Member

Glad you asked this question Lindsey! I think that Ender is such a good big boy he'll do fine. Good idea to start gradually and see how it goes.

Similar to your situation, we're trying to figure out when to get rid of the ex-pen for CoCo, as pottying on newspapers is not a habit I want her to have for long... but we're gone from 8:00-4:00 and I don't know if she would make it that long in her crate. She's been in her crate overnight for 9 hours straight for a while now, but even then... we would get her up at 6:00am only to go back in at 8:00. She doesn't seem to mind her crate, but that is quite the guilt trip!

Luckily DH is teaching, so will be off for the summer. So I think our plan is to keep her with the ex-pen until he is off at the end of June, then we'll go to crating her every time we're out. By the time he goes back to work in September she'll be 8 months and will be able to be crated for the day or *maybe* be left to roam the den with the bar & stairs gated off.

CoCo still has about 2 accidents per week inside. I knew from the start that the newspaper training would extend the potty training period, but its what worked for us! I know she knows the difference, but if we're not paying attention she doesn't always hold it.
    ~Jo & CoCo

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast