At what age did you start leaving your dog home all day? - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: At what age did you start leaving your dog home all day?

bibber is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: At what age did you start leaving your dog home all day?

I think Ender will do fine with a slightly longer day. He probably sleeps a lot while you're gone. He'll be ready for some great play time when you get home!

Brenda, Sam & Bodie

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Dani is offline Senior Member

I still don't. Someone always goes home at lunch. It helps me to eat healthier and I get to see my boy. He's not crated though...and hasn't been since 7 months.
    Dani, Rider & Rookie
    SHR Watson's Safari Rider, JH, WC, CL1-R, RA, CGC, TDI
    SHR Endeavor Put Me In Coach, RN, WC, CGC

Member Since 6/2003

Beau is home and crated for between 6-8 hours every work day. He sleeps most of it.
    Granted he is a bundle of energy when I get home. Straight out the back door....pee & then laps around the yard. But I find now even on weekends his "down time" is during the early afternoon. He will lay down and rest even when I am home.
    He seems very comfortable with the schedule and I have had no problems.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

my dogs and i are together 24/7...i'm an upper-quadriplegic and the part-time work i do from home. i take them places when i can. except for a few hours for a flick or dinner out, i'm w/them--we're fortunate that way. we also have a dog-door and fenced-in yard. only thing we're lacking right now is a place for the dogs to swim.

anyone know of any dog-friendly places in westchester county, ny (sound shore area) for swimming.

Buckyball is offline Senior Member

well I am in a similar situation as you Lindsay. I have been gradually going home later to let Buck out. I only get 30 mins of lunch time (I work only 5 miles from home) When he was 8 weeks old I'd let him go to the bathroom at 7 and would go home at 10:30 and then my parents would come home at 3:30 and let him out. He did great with this for weeks. No accidents or anything. Then around 12 weeks I started going at 11...did that for a couple weeks. Then moved it to 11:15 then 11:30 etc etc. Now we are at 12:15-12:30 or so and he seems to be doing just fine. I get home around 4 everyday. I figured I will slowly phase out the lunch break. Or atleast come home once or twice a week during lunch. I am considering gating him in our mudroom for part of the day when he is done teething. See how he does. If he does well we can slowly expand on that as well.
    <3 01/01/2006-03/18/2017 <3

labradork mom is offline Member

I have three dogs two labs and a cattle dog. Both of my labs stayed in their crates till they were a year old. Even when I let them have free run of the house I would come home and find them in their crates sleeping. Our cattle dog is a rescue dog who fits in just great. So now all three have the run of the house about 8 hours per day. I have never had any problems with accidents or anything getting chewed. They just sleep all day.

Mama3tikes is offline Senior Member

Great post Lindsay! Today was the first day that Koko was in the crate for 7 1/2 hours. I felt bad but it will only be a few days the next week or so then she will be home with the kids! She was sound asleep when I came in and acted as though I just left her? Out to go potty, play and now she's napping in her crate (door open) She was fine it was just me that was a mess!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12