Does this really happen?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Does this really happen?

DefaultDoes this really happen?

Do people really have their dogs stolen out of their yards in America?
    Is there a breed that is more prone to getting stolen? Do they know why people steal them?

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

DefaultRe: Does this really happen?

Yep, happens all of the time. In fact there was just a thread not to long ago started by a JL member whose neighbor had a dog stolen. My dad had a dog stolen too when he was younger, and it broke his heart. So sad that people can be so horrible...but just as kids are kidnapped, so are dogs. :'(

Yes, it really happens.

Based on the reports - dogs that appear to be purebred are stolen more than others.

Many reasons,
    dogs are stolen to be used as fighting dogs or bait dogs for fighting dogs
    just because someone wanted your dog
    to be sold to reseach labs
    to be sold to dealers
    to be sold for a few extra bucks
    to collect a reward from you later

It happens all too often and it seems as if it's getting worse

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Yes, my uncle had a beagle stolen from his yard. I get the impression that hunting dogs are more prone to being taken. That's just me talking out of my you-know-what though.

labby is offline Senior Member

Yep and Labs lead the pack in that too. Most thieves know they'll go with anyone, especially when there is food. Laboratories love Labs, which is where a lot of them show up. They allow all sorts of experiments done on them without turning on the person doing it.

Laura

myfavoritedog is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by labby
    Yep and Labs lead the pack in that too.* Most thieves know they'll go with anyone, especially when there is food.* Laboratories love Labs, which is where a lot of them show up.* They allow all sorts of experiments done on them without turning on the person doing it.*

I think I am going to cry... :'( :'( Pity the poor slob who takes mine and I find out who it is.

This is one reason I would never allow my dog outside without constant supervision from me. I don't know that it's a huge problem in my city, but I know it does happen.

labby is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by myfavoritedog
    This is one reason I would never allow my dog outside without constant supervision from me.
    Which is what I was hoping when I said that (not talking about you specifically). I treat my dogs like they were toddlers. You wouldn't leave a toddler out alone in the yard, why would you do it to a dog that you're suppose to love?

Laura

Same here Mocha is never outside without me standing there with her. Of course our yard isn't all the way fenced yet either which is part of the reason but even if it was I still would be out there with her.

Quote Originally Posted by Melissa
    Yes, my uncle had a beagle stolen from his yard. I get the impression that hunting dogs are more prone to being taken. That's just me talking out of my you-know-what though.

You're right, though. Apparently out in the more rural areas it's pretty common to have dogs stolen. Hunting dogs AND pet/family dogs.

Also, I get the impression that people in rural areas are not as prone to having their dogs inside 24/7. I don't know that this is statistically true, but in my experience this has been the case.

myfavoritedog is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by labby
    Quote Originally Posted by myfavoritedog
    This is one reason I would never allow my dog outside without constant supervision from me.
    Which is what I was hoping when I said that (not talking about you specifically).* *
    I don't even have my little furbaby and already am really protective of my new Lab! My granny used to say about folks who have children and don't take care of them..they shouldn't have them in the first place. Same can and should be applied to a pet. You have to be willing to care for it..and that means watching it so he/she remains with you!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast