How do you pick a pup?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How do you pick a pup?

DefaultHow do you pick a pup?

I'll be getting my first Lab here in a few weeks to go along with my Boxer. I've not had a Lab before...I've had two Boxers and a Golden Retriever in the past. What should you look for in a Lab puppy? My brother-in-law has a Lab, so I'm going to take him with me. We're going to train him for hunting, and I want a larger Lab. I know for pups in general to turn them on their backs, watch how they socialize with the rest of the litter, etc. Anything Lab-specific that I should look for?

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Ender's Mom is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: How do you pick a pup?

Personally... I'd ask the breeder. He/she will be around the pups 24/7 and will have a better idea of the temperment and potential of each pup. For hunting, are you looking specifically at a breeder who is active in hunting and raising hunting dogs? Again, they would be the best judge and can pick out the right pup for you once they know your personality.
    ~Lindsay

I agree with Lindsay. We just picked out our Bali this last weekend, and the breeder was very helpful in more than anything else narrowing down our selection based on our personalities, lifestyle, and Jaida's temperment.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

I agree. Let the breeder pick the pup for you based on the profile you've provided to her/him. That's how I did it and I couldn't be happier. I will be using Rocky to hunt as well.

ThatsMyGirl Guest

Ditto ... my breeder matchs all of her puppies to families based on the information they provide -- lifestyle, activity level, dog experience, ultimate goals for the dog (i.e., hunt, therapy dog, etc).

And honestly, I can't imagine a better match than we got w/ Sami.

Chester B. Dickens is offline Senior Member

Tell your breeder EVERYTHING about your home situation and your past. Have you owned a dog before? Ever been bitten as a child? Do you have children? What's your work schedule? What is your yard like? Daily schedule? Walk/poop/pee issues? # of people in the house? Big house? Small house? Quiet house? Noisy house? How much time do you have for training etc.?

Full disclosure... and then let the breeder pick.

JacobAlthea&Tatum is offline Senior Member

I agree with choosing a responsible breeder and then letting him or her pick your pup.
    I'm Jenn. Keeper of two labs in my home and one forever in my heart.

Throw the ball, damn it!

Buckyball is offline Senior Member

I too informed my breeder of what my lifestyle was like and how much experience I have had with dogs and what kind of temperament and size I was looking for in a pup and why I am getting him. She was able to pair me up with Buck and I think he's perfect for our family
    <3 01/01/2006-03/18/2017 <3

myfavoritedog is offline Senior Member

Ditto. I've done alot of research on what to expect from a breeder, chosing a puppy and so on. It is really important to let the breeder know your purpose for getting a Lab, what your lifestyle is, etc. If the breeder puts alot of prussure on you, promises the world, and/or is evasive in answering your questions, walk away. Alos, see if the breeder is willing for you to come visit. That will tell alot. If they are reluctant, walk away.

If you have already chose the sire and the dam, and you have already chose the breeder, and you have already chose whether you want male or female, then you have already made 99% of the decisions. It is always a bit of a gamble when picking a pup, so as others have said let the breeder pick for you...or let the pup pick you.....or pick the one that poops last, that way it doesn't do it on the way home. Good luck!
    Mike

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast