Question for CGC Evaluators
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Question for CGC Evaluators

DefaultQuestion for CGC Evaluators

I have a couple of questions about the way the CGC test was handled this weekend. Besides completely jerking around my daughter, I saw a couple of other things that I hadn't seen before and want to check on.

1) Two dogs were in the ring at the same time to evaluate the heeling portion. They used dog #1 as a "friendly dog" and handler #1 as a "stranger with a dog" while evaluating both dogs. Is this an acceptable practice?

2) They put both dogs in the out of sight test together. Effectively this gave the dogs a "buddy" and I'm sure it would cause some dogs to want to play with the "buddy" or gave some an unfair advantage if they shared a home with the 2nd dog. Is this an acceptable practice?

The exams I've seen have always evaluated 1 dog at a time and the stations were manned by the same individuals for every dog (one person talks to the handler, another person pets the dog, another person grooms the dog, another person shakes hands, a crowd mills around, the judge or designated person causes a distraction, and 1 person holds the dog inside the ring while the owner goes out of sight). I've never seen a test handled like the one this weekend.

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

AngusFangus is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: Question for CGC Evaluators

Lydia, I don't have the link to it unfortunately, but there is a pdf on the akc.org site you can dowload that outlines the regulations for a CGC evaluator. Maybe there would be something in there that might help answer these questions.

FWIW, during Angus first CGC there were always two dogs in the ring, at opposite ends of the ring. They were testing two at a time at different stations/with different co-evaluators. Not sure if that's what you're talking about, though...

Connie and "The Boys":
    Angus, Yellow Lab, CGC, RE, CD
    Simon, d.b.a. Flat Coated Retriever, CGC, RE, CD

Gone ahead, but forever in my heart:
    Crash, Pit Bull x Rottweiler x Golden Retriever

3TailsWaggin is offline Senior Member

I think it's pretty much left up to the evaluator on how to actually set up the testing area. When Magnum had her test, there was a dog at each station in the test area. When a test area became "open" we all scrambled to see who could get there first This was a very large test at a Labrador fun match.

For the majority of the times Ruger was tested we ran dogs one at a time through the test (exception the out of site, where a dog could be going through it's evaluation while another dog was being tested on a different station.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

No this was one evaluator evaluating 2 dogs at the same time. She was the only person in the ring with both dogs/handlers. She had a helper who sat outside the ring and held both dogs for the out of sights.

lcspt is offline Senior Member

When we did CGC testing we had 3 evaluators but we only did one dog at a time. The friendly dog was another evaluator with their dog or a volunteer that we knew and had arranged ahead of time.

Basically the one evaluator did all the testing but we had other people to hand things to the evaluator and to be the crowd. We had a small area to work in.

We also only did one out of sight at a time.
    "In moments of joy all of us wished we possessed a tail we could wag." W. H. Auden

Linda, Kona and Bo

georgie is offline Senior Member

When Molly took her test there were several evaluators at different stations plus helpers. There were several dogs in the ring at the different stations. The evaluators had helpers at their stations. Only one dog at a time though for the out of site part & they were way at the back of the building.

debjen is offline Senior Member

I've been involved in several CGC tests..never as the evaluator but as an assistant...They like using Riley as the greeter dog cuz he doesn't really care what else the other dog is doing...we've always done one dog at a time....I would be leary of having 2 particpants doing the meet and greet as you don't know how either dog react but I honestly don't know if it is against policy or not..

CGN here but I would not use two test dogs on one another and evaluate them that way. Test dogs would be either my own dog or an assistant with a proven dog you need a stable dog for this. For the out of site we usually do about 5 dogs at once space well appart as to not entice play and an assitant with each dog.

labby is offline Senior Member

I will usually have the next dog in line be the handler/greeter in the exercise, but I only evaluate one dog at a time.

I have found lately that many evaluators are doing their own thing and completely changing the test to suit their own needs. One evaluator doesn't even have the dogs do a sit on command saying that show dogs shouldn't know how to sit. When I tested once instead of this other evaluator, people were angry when I had the sit on command exercise.

Laura

Kinderwood is offline Senior Member

Wow labby!* They actually got angry over a sit on command?* Unbelievable!* I'm not an expert but I would think that would be one of the more crucial things a CGC should be evaluated on.* I train for HTs/FTs but that's still one of the basic things the dogs need to do along with having a strong stay.

rottnlabs, I've never been to a CGC test so I'm not an expert by far, but from the sounds of it, I don't think I like the idea of evaluating two dogs against each other.* I think they should be evaluated seperately on their own merits.

Just my 2c,
    Darcy
    Darcy Litzinger
    Kinderwood Labradors
    Piper, Faith, Mocha & Pink

In Loving Memory:

HIT UCD Bel Air Blue Chip Of Kinderwood CD RE JH CGC "Blue" 06/25/06-04/26/10

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast