The further adventures of Labradork and 'Dorable

Thread: The further adventures of Labradork and 'Dorable

Lab Dad is offline Senior Member

DefaultThe further adventures of Labradork and 'Dorable

Friday night Jack decided to go for a swim in the pool by himself. Just to swim.

Saturday morning he was wired just in time to go for a gofer so I tried to tire him out with some retrieves. Wife wanted some help. While I was helping her we heard a splash. Yup. Jack had let himself onto the deck to go for a swim to cool off.

The gofer was to get microchipped at the dog show at the convention center. Gofers are an exciting time. The moment they hear the keys and I head for the front door, I have Velcro dogs attached to my heels. Jack runs to the van and jumps in . He greets me at the driver's door as if I have been gone for a week. He wants to drive, prefers the front passenger seat but will sit on his chair in the back. Baby hops in and lays down on the back seat, a smallish black lump. Jack wants to navigate. To smell where we are and bark at the occasional transgressor. Approaching the convention center he begins to whine, whimper and yodel. He thinks he is going to be left in the car. Then he sees the dogs and begins to bounce from seat to window to console to seat barking his head off.

Baby waits patiently at the door to be leashed. Jack tries to be first. First out. First leashed and first out. She walks nicely for the first twenty yards, sees we are headed for the big building and lays down. Jack is pulling. I have him sit and we discuss the situation. He has left his earplugs in the car. He walks nicely into the building. Wife is dragging Baby. Once Baby sees Jack in the building and he has not been devoured she walks sort of along OK.

The Microchip station has been set up differently. we have to enter the show space to pay for the service. Jack heels. Stayed right with me. One big show Lab pulled its handler over to growl at Jack. No response from Jack. I was amazed at how calm he was. He met the Reserve Bitch, gave her a kiss for winning and was happy to walk along. Poor Baby on the otherhand was back to being dragged. Microchipping went well. Not even a flinch. Good thing I had not said he could go swimming as a reward. No swimming for 24 hours. They both did well on the way back out of the building. As we approached the van, a pack of Jack Russels expressed their desire to maul them by snarling, barking and launching themselves at the doors of the crates. Wife was a bit frightened. Jack and Baby ignored them.

Saturday night we had dinner at Lab Granny's. I cooked on her grill, and we sat outside on her patio enjoying watching the birds and talking after dinner. Jack was sprawled out beside me, Baby curled in a ball by the back door. Suddenly Jack stood up and let out an alarm bark, followed by some lower woofs of you don't belong here. I don't know if he smelled, saw or heard it, but there was a raccoon perched on the top of Lab Granny's privacy fence. It was standing on all four feet on the tip of its toes. Jack was growling and giving out some Git! barks. He reluctantly agreed to come inside. We cleared all the dishes and got the dogs inside. This was a good reminder that wild life have adapted to our way of life and could even be under the deck.

Sunday was spent retrieving and he went in again on his own Sunday morning just to swim. Sunday night I went swimming for the first time. I wish I had a camera. He was giving me a very strange look. But he came right in, swam out around me and headed back to the ladder. I grabbed onto the base of his tail and he pulled to the ladder.

Baby being a black dog pants a lot and stays in the shade. She willingly comes to the edge of the pool, sometimes I think she really wants to go in but is afraid. She was surprised to see me go into the water, but came over to the edge. Other than trembling and maybe trying to back up, she came into the water without any fight. She swam well but wanted out so I guided her to the ladder and she climbed out using the ladder just like Jack.

It was after 8pm before they ate. Jack retrieved the beans like he always does. He even picked up the can opener off the floor and put it in my hand. They both slept very well Sunday night.

I

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Katies Mom is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: The further adventures of Labradork and 'Dorable

I love reading your stories. I feel like I am right beside you. Good job.

zgirls is offline Senior Member

I love hearing about your babies......they are absolutely adorable.....
    Lee
    Mother of Zoe Mae and Zeb AKA The Mess Pot

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

lcspt is offline Senior Member

What great stories you tell and have of your special labs. I always enjoy them. How was the show this weekend? Did you end up working any of it?
    "In moments of joy all of us wished we possessed a tail we could wag." W. H. Auden

Linda, Kona and Bo

myfavoritedog is offline Senior Member

You have a way of telling things that make you feel like you're right there. Great read...and sounds like fun!.

Rushpuppy is offline Senior Member

Ahhh the life of a lab. I think they have it made don't you? Sounds like you all had a fun, busy weekend.

Kwinon is offline Senior Member

Loved the stories!
    Jaxk & Baby sound like a good match for each other . . .*

3TailsWaggin is offline Senior Member

Sounds like quite an outing and adventure for your crew!

I didn't know about not swimming for 24 hours after microchip.. now I know why I never had it done