Difference in shedding because of coat color?

Thread: Difference in shedding because of coat color?

DefaultDifference in shedding because of coat color?

I remember a few weeks/months back a thread about yellow labs shedding more than blacks or chocolates. The other day I was told that out of the 3, chocolates shed the least. Is there any truth in that as well? So does typical shedding amounts go (from most to least) yellow, black then chocolate?

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

DefaultRe: Difference in shedding because of coat color?

If chocolates shed the least, then I have an imposter!

Sorry, I don't have an answer, but Abby seems to always be shedding (or at least I always am finding hair somewhere!)

From what I can tell Roxy doesn't shed real bad, but that could be because she doesn't have much of a double coat. Hmmm.....

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Ender's Mom is offline Senior Member

From what I can tell, Ender hasn't shed much... but of course my house matches my dog so I think all his blonde fur just isn't showing up as much as a black fur would.
    ~Lindsay

TangerineFizz is offline Senior Member

I think it just depends on the dog. I have two yellows, and one sheds WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY more then the other, almost all year round.

Me, Abzilla and the Helomonster.

clancey canuck Guest

Clancey boy - sheds 24/7 (yellow)

Bob Pr. is offline Senior Member

I agree with TangerineFizz -- I think it depends on the specific dog and that the genes determining coat color have nothing or little to do with the genes related to shedding.

I DO think that those Labs with thicker coats usually do more shedding than Labs with thiinner coats. More hair = more to shed; less hair = less to shed.

My beloved Bess (BF, AKC, bench line, 55 lbs, 1967-81) had a thick coat and shed constantly.

My beloved Puff (YF, AKC, field line, 63 lbs., dob: 8-'01) has a thinner coat (maybe more like a Weimeraner's?) and she sheds but probably only a tenth of what Bess did.

Last Saturday at our weekly LabFest, a friend brought his YM, "Chase" and a ZoomGroom. He started brushing Chase and big windrows of fur began littering the grass. Chase's coat is thicker than Puff's I borrowed his ZoomGroom and began brushing Puff and picked up so few hairs I could've counted them individually..

Two other owners with blacks tried and theirs gave quite a bit but not as much as Chase did -- kind of intermediate between Puff and Chase..
    Puff [YF, AKC field line (from competing HT/FT breeder) 62 lbs, dob: 8-'01]

Bess [BF, AKC bench line (from competing show breeder) 55 lbs., 1967-1981] "Poor Bess, the Wonder Dog":
    http://forum.justlabradors.com/showt...?p=748#post748

patm is offline Senior Member

I have only had 1 chocolate, and 2 yellows, so I don't know about blacks - except that my house and car are color coordinated for yellow/chocolate and black would really show up more ;D Neither of mine shed alot except when they are "blowing coat". They are outside most of the day in all kinds of weather, so I think that they keep their coats better than dogs that are inside a lot. Neither of mine had started shedding yet this year, and I was thinking that they weren't going to shed this year - but right before we started on a trip to my parents for the weekend, in the new Rav4 with black interior - Skippy started to blow big time. Like one minute he wasn't and the next minute he was!

My yellows tend to shed the worst; but Zena and Jake also have thicker coats that the chocolate girls. River sheds really bad when he's blowing coat (he's black) ... it seems the yellows are always shedding.