Who wants to see where Zoes Mom lives?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Who wants to see where Zoes Mom lives?

Cappy_TX is offline Senior Member

DefaultWho wants to see where Zoes Mom lives?

Well, you just have to pick her house out from here ...

http://www.pbase.com/goislands/1999_01_13_oahu_flight

Hint: I used to live here ... http://ct.pbase.com/u29/goislands/sm...ahu13jan99.jpg

and I was about 4 miles away from Linda's (I think)

8)
    Remi and Rusty aren't my whole life. They're trying to fill the hole in my heart left by Cappy's passing.

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Rushpuppy is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: Who wants to see where Zoes Mom lives?

You poor thing, I can't believe you had to live in such a place. : Oh that we would all be so unfortunate! ;D ;D ;D

zoesmom is offline Senior Member

Wow, great shots of the island state.
    We're somewhere between 12 and 13. I guess they didn't show Waialae Iki because it's just full of houses. LOL
    Linda and ZoŽ, the Umlaut
    Honolulu, Hawaii

[

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

labby is offline Senior Member

Gee, I feel for you Linda to have to live in such a horrible place.

Laura

Okay everyone....yes, it's a beautiful island; however, it is congested...we live in the tropics, so it rains nearly every day...prices are sky high, for everything!...property lots are small...neighbor houses are 10 feet away...we must hop on a plane to see the other parts of our state (5 other major islands; Niihau & Kahoolawe don't count...we can't visit there)...and of course, hop on a plane to see the rest of the 49 states. So there. :P
    Honolulu, Hawaii

[

Quote Originally Posted by zoesmom
    Okay everyone....yes, it's a beautiful island; however, it is congested...we live in the tropics, so it rains nearly every day...prices are sky high, for everything!...property lots are small...neighbor houses are 10 feet away...we must hop on a plane to see the other parts of our state (5 other major islands; Niihau & Kahoolawe don't count...we can't visit there)...and of course, hop on a plane to see the rest of the 49 states.* So there.* :P
    It's all in the eye of the beholder, Linda.* Although the land of Aloha is a wonderful place for some, you didn't mention the State income tax, sales and real estate property taxes being the highest in the nation.* Gasoline and diesel fuel prices are this country's highest and if it weren't forthe wonderful trade winds there, no doubt Oahu would have the worst air quality because of the auto emissions.* In Hawaii, the average home owner spends 46.5% of their monthly income on housing verses 24.9% average here on the mainland. Fortunately for them, most residents in Hawaii don't need or have heating or air conditioning in their homes.* They couldn't afford either with there being the highest utility rates in the country there.

The ones I truly feel sorry for are the youngsters of Hawaii today who are condemned to leaving their place of birth or face a lifetime of renting and poverty unless their parents pass on and give them their home, or enough money from the estate for the kid(s) to remain there in a home that they otherwise can't afford.* Each year the increase in Hawaii's cost of living and housing exceeds the average income gains by at least 2 to 3 fold.* In other words, if wage gains average 4-5% a year, housing and the other costs of living are increasing at 12-15% per year.*That creates a widening gap to such an extent* that IMO, by the year 2020, Hawaii's demographics will consist (aside from tourists and investors owning real estate) of only the very wealthy or the extremely poor and/or on those on welfare.* And it better be some form of Federal Welfare because the State's economic condition continues to decline.*

It used to be that Hawaii had a four-cornered economic base.* Tourism, government spending, construction and agriculture, especially sugar cane. The sugar plantations are now all closed and agriculture is a mere fraction of what it was 50 years ago.* That's because government price supports ended, unions drove labor costs up out of sight and the result was an industry that couldn't compete in a world market.* It's closed down and will never again return.* Over 80% of the military bases in the State of Hawaii have closed and, hold your breath, Pearl Harbor will surely follow.* That comprises a staggering loss of jobs, wages and taxes to the State.* With the exception of periods of economic spurts where construction perks up after 10 or more years of decline, it too is a dying industry because the State is landlocked with few if any places to build practically or that are economically viable.* That leaves only tourism as a base for the economy and those are traditionally lower paying service jobs.* Not exactly the future you'd want for your children or theirs.

For many of those reasons above, and because of our wanting to be able to hunt and have Cappy & Remi enjoy their genetic destiny, we didn't move back. We still think Hawaii is stunningly beautiful and a great place to visit. It's just not a place to put down roots if you have future generations that you will be responsible for.* *
    :-\
    Remi and Rusty aren't my whole life. They're trying to fill the hole in my heart left by Cappy's passing.

Gosh Jim, I agree 100%. Clifford & I have no children, neither does his sister (who lives in Kula, Maui). This is, I think, 1 reason why we can afford it here.

Another thing...our public school system sucks, major big time. Lots of people are looking for private schooling for their children...Iolani, Punahou...that's a big expense.

Affluence & poverty...we're starting to see it. There are so many homeless people. Equally so many millionaires, if not billionaires. But ya know, mose of us try to exist in this "paradise" together. Reminds me of The Last Resort by the Eagles:

She came from Providence,
    the one in Rhode Island
    Where the old world shadows hang
    heavy in the air
    She packed her hopes and dreams
    like a refugee
    Just as her father came across the sea

She heard about a place people were smilin'
    They spoke about the red man's way,
    and how they loved the land
    And they came from everywhere
    to the Great Divide
    Seeking a place to stand
    or a place to hide

Down in the crowded bars,
    out for a good time,
    Can't wait to tell you all,
    what it's like up there
    And they called it paradise
    I don't know why
    Somebody laid the mountains low
    while the town got high

Then the chilly winds blew down
    Across the desert
    through the canyons of the coast, to
    the Malibu
    Where the pretty people play,
    hungry for power
    to light their neon way
    and give them things to do

Some rich men came and raped the land,
    Nobody caught 'em
    Put up a bunch of ugly boxes, and Jesus,
    people bought 'em
    And they called it paradise
    The place to be
    They watched the hazy sun, sinking in the sea

You can leave it all behind
    and sail to Lahaina
    just like the missionaries did, so many years ago
    They even brought a neon sign: "Jesus is coming"
    Brought the white man's burden down
    Brought the white man's reign

Who will provide the grand design?
    What is yours and what is mine?
    'Cause there is no more new frontier
    We have got to make it here

We satisfy our endless needs and
    justify our bloody deeds,
    in the name of destiny and the name
    of God

And you can see them there,
    On Sunday morning
    They stand up and sing about
    what it's like up there
    They call it paradise
    I don't know why
    You call someplace paradise,
    kiss it goodbye
    Honolulu, Hawaii

[

Quote Originally Posted by zoesmom
    Gosh Jim, I agree 100%.* Clifford & I have no children, neither does his sister (who lives in Kula, Maui).* This is, I think, 1 reason why we can afford it here.*

Another thing...our public school system sucks, major big time.* Lots of people are looking for private schooling for their children...Iolani, Punahou...that's a big expense.*
    Ah-so! Exactly the reason we left Oahu in the first place ... to enrol Carol's adopted daughter Erin into a special education curriculum on the mainland for 4 years. The principal at Aiea Elementary begged Carol to take Erin out of Hawaii to a mainland high school for her special ed needs. But even more importantly, so she wouldn't end up having to carry the guns or drugs, or sexually service an entire Filipino gang, that proliferated the Aiea area already.

A good friend, Jimmy Kawakami, who ran the HPD juvenile gang unit in the late '80s, told us stories that were even worse in situations he saw every day where these Filipino and Samoan gangs (including pre-teens) would terrorize their own parents and convert their homes into drug warehouses or crytal meth labs. That's the part of Hawaii that's always supressed and never appears in the local or national press. So sad!

Oh ... and the lyrics ... Hawaii makes me feel a bit more morose than that. Like Marmalade's song "Reflections Of My Life"

The changing of sunlight to moonlight
    Reflections of my life, oh, how they fill my eyes
    The greetings of people in trouble
    Reflections of my life, oh, how they fill my eyes

All my sorrows, sad tomorrows
    Take me back to my own home
    All my cryings (all my cryings), feel I'm dying, dying
    Take me back to my own home (oh I'm going home)

I'm changing, arranging, I'm changing
    I'm changing everything, ah, everything around me

The world is a bad place, a bad place
    A terrible place to live, oh, but I don't wanna die

All my sorrows, sad tomorrows
    Take me back, to my old home
    All my cryings, (all my cryings),feel i'm dying, dying
    Take me back to my old home (i'm going home)

All my sorrows, sad towmorrows
    Take me back, (take me back) to my old home.....

How's that for a downer? :'(

***heavy sigh***

Yes, Hawaii is high on the list of crystal meth use. Teens as well as people who used to be "responsible" adults. We see it in the news here. Sad and scary. What they'll do for $10... unreal. But the locals know the "good" areas, and where not to tread.

Okay, enough downers, eh? LOL It's still beautiful, majority of the people are great, and like SU said last night when I asked for a home w/a pool, "You have the beach, and you have the best neighbors anyone could ever ask for."

(oh, and that series of shots you posted....I love to snorkel at Hanauma! Haven't done it since Zoe, though.)
    Honolulu, Hawaii

[

Oh, and Jim...speaking about Aiea... Does Carol remember "Omiya's Delicatessen?" Mrs. Omiya did sushi, fried saimin, etc.

Aiea Heights Road, I think. Real close to the rec center and high school.
    Honolulu, Hawaii

[

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast